ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound difference with perforated tail pipe?

LY Megane R26
Hi all,

just wondered what the difference is in sound with an exhaust with the perforated type tail pipe like piper and the single box scorpion system, compared to a non perforated tail pipe like on the rs192 system and yozza.

I know the exhaust it's self will obviously sound different from exhaust to exhaust. But just thinking how much this effects the end sound of any exhaust? Is it a really noticeable difference too?
So if you was to get a system with the perforated tail pipes then change the tail pipes on the same system to non perforated ones would it change the sound much?

Thanks

Chris

LY Megane R26
Surely someone must know if there's much of a difference?

Ive tried searching and no luck either. Tried briefly searching google but didn't have the time to look to in depth on it.

Williams 2
I don't think many people are really going to have much experience with this tbh mate.

All I would guess is that its similar to the perforated plasterboard with the holes in that you get in the ceilings of apartments or offices that absorb sound.

Maybe it helps it sound less 'boomy' or something, helps absorb a little bit of the sound?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the 2 tailpipe options on the piper make it sound quite different. Surprising for such a small change

LY Megane R26
the 2 tailpipe options on the piper make it sound quite different. Surprising for such a small change

oh yer I noticed they do the 2 options. Yer I thought it would have quite a change to the sound, just wasn't sure what the sound difference would be like.
How would you describe the difference in sound between the 2? And what does the perforated one do to the sound of the exhaust?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I prefer the silenced tailpipes personally, quieter overall, but they do make motorway cruising a bit noisier than the slash cut version (which is louder the rest of the time)

LY Megane R26
What about combined with a decat on the piper system?
Would that make the difference stand out more?

I have the silenced ones on my decat piper system, I find its a bit weird on the motorway, it goes from one extreme to the other very quickly. I can cruise at 70-75 and it's really quite quiet, but cruise at 80-85 and it's extremely loud then quietens off again at about 90. I mean doing 70 I'd say was quieter than the RS192 decat system that was on before, and when letting off the throttle decelerating is a lot quieter too with the piper, you used to get a really loud drone from the scorpion.

When accelerating, in the lower parts of the revs the piper sounds a little strange sometimes, and I couldn't get my head round it, whether it was the silenced tips causing it to sound like it?

But it does sound awesome when you want it too, also is quite quiet when you want it to be too.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yeah there's a definite "zone" where it gets loud. Its just a resonance thing I guess.

Sounds like you have a blow though

LY Megane R26
Yer that's it. I don't mind anyway encourages me to do 70-75 haha. Even still it's no where near as bad as the rs192 at times which was surprising.

Tbh it wouldn't surprise me, I ended up fitting the cat back with a scorpion decat due to piper sending me the incorrect decat. I was jut impatient and wanted to fit it haha. But they have been very good and are sorting that. So I will be sorting that this weekend and going to a sleeve joint rather than the olive one currently.

But would the blow effect how it sounds much?