ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound System Project

Clio 1.2l 1999
Hi all, new to the forum and cant easily find what I'm looking for, so here goes:

I drive a 1999 1.2 clio as standard, completely.
Am a BIG fan of my music, and am looking at installing the whole sound system (new speakers, 6x9s and an amp), whilst keeping the original head unit, what with the current security climate and all!

So I would like to know:

1. What speakers are fitted as standard to the car? (Power ratings and size etc.)

2. If anybody has managed to fit an amp to the standard head unit, and if so, how they did it!

3. Suggestions for easy modification of the parcel shelf to take the 6x9s.

BASICALLY, anybody with any experience, would be happy to hear from you!

Cheers guys,
L

bodied 172 Ph1
You can quite easily modify the parcel shelf, however, it can be quite flimsy, I found the best way to produce a better sound quality was to build a new shelf, ply wood, and a trip to maplins to buy some acoustic carpet to cover it with! took a little over an hour to make! But this will be a little heavier! The only problem then is to decide whether you want it connected to the boot door to lift up

PH1 iceburg
Not sure if this would work as i thought u always needed pre-outs to run the amp.

By the way i have a ph2 shelf with 2 ten inch subs on it for sale ;)

Clio 1.2l 1999
Thanks =]

Probably not looking to buy a pre-made one, I'm a pretty 'hands-on' guy... But nice to know it's easy to do!

So other than that, general suggestion is to buy a new head unit?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
wouldnt bother with the standard headunit. a new one will give you much better sq rather than using the hi level input.

have you thought about getting decent set of components and amping them rather than 6x9s?

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
If you are a big fan of music like you say, then listen to the above poster and consider getting amped components and a subwoofer as well as a new headunit. The best thing to do is to see if you can listen to other cars, be it your mates' or down at a local audio shop to hear the difference yourself.

"Navy" N17 TWO
If you are a big fan of music like you say, then listen to the above poster and consider getting amped components and a subwoofer as well as a new headunit. The best thing to do is to see if you can listen to other cars, be it your mates' or down at a local audio shop to hear the difference yourself.

I'll second that

FORGET 6x9s and work on your front rather than putting all the sound in the back of the car :)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Shopping list for you:

new head unit
3 channel or 4 channel bridgeable amplifier
subwoofer + box
decent 2 way components
wiring kit

:)

alien green rs133
components FTW

and if you get a 3/4 channel amp that leaves a channel for sub if you want, or in my case a kenwood hifi speaker (not as stupid as it sounds :D)