ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sounds like a scooby engine!

172 turbo
was fine last night woke up this morning and a loud deep rumble on start so i waited then reved it, i thought wtf like a deep scooby misfire so i drove to work thinking moisture might dry out and it didnt loss of power asuming runnning on 3 cylinders due to water in plugs what shal i do? change plugs and damp start ?

Mk5 golf gti
maybe throw up the coilpack light etc

sure the cat isnt kncakered or upstream lambda sensor knackered?

PH1 172
was fine last night woke up this morning and a loud deep rumble on start so i waited then reved it, i thought wtf like a deep scooby misfire so i drove to work thinking moisture might dry out and it didnt loss of power asuming runnning on 3 cylinders due to water in plugs what shal i do? change plugs and damp start ?

Had the exact same problem except I sometimes would get hesitation when trying to accelerate then it would go, then hesitate again etc.....mine was a fooked fuel injector on cylinder 3 and through up a code that said "open circuit cylinder 3" IIRC.

If you got the down pour last night like I did around my area then it could well be just water causing problems....coil pack, spark plugs etc

172 turbo
ye cheers lads well all i can do is start with new plugs tonight try clean up any moisture gop from there if that doesnt sort it shall i go for new leads and coil pack then work to fuel injectors etc?

172 turbo
just changed plugs and leads no change any other ideas i hope i get all the water out wehen drys up long drive>?

Mk5 golf gti
have you got any fault light you havent said?

best thing to do is get a diagnostics or borrow a code reader, my guess is the lambda

are you running the correct plugs NGK PFR6E10

172 turbo
yes right plugs and i guess maybe lamber but y does it idle fine? and not cut out just no power?

Mk5 golf gti
it will idle fine, does it accelerate an deccelerate slightly by itself when held at a constant re's and is hesitant all when cold?

these are lambda failing symptoms, id get the code reader or diagnostics rather than just replacing parts, as it could just be a faulty sensor

172 turbo
no when i hold the rev its fine its almost like everything is normal rev wise apart from when in gears 1/4 of the power and a deep noise really weird::S?

M3 SMG
Mine didn't immedietely throw up a code for what turned out to be a missfire because of corroded plugs.

As mentioned get it on a fault reader to see what has been stored.

If you know someone local get the mto swop coil packs for 5mins to see if that cures it as its a 1min job to swop

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Did someone say Scooby ? Oh hai... :approve:

Sounds like the ol' 3rd cyl of death. My Clio did this. Had to helicoil the spark plug hole ! Nerve wrecking or what... PITA to get to the head thanks to that bloomin' inlet though.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The 3rd cylinder spark plug hole corrodes/fails often. Water sits in it and causes problems. Whoever installed my HT leads failed spectacularly and put them point to point under the inlet, instead of following the numbers, and the gap for them where they should go.

You have to take the inlet off to get to the HTs because of the stupid design. Take the inlet off, pop the HTs out and see what's happening.

I had to helicoil the thread to fix the problem.

172 turbo
but surely that mean the thread would be foooked like the spark plug could not sit in properly they all seemed ok ? ive changed plugs ht leads and now spent 87 quid on a bloody coil plack someone please help before i end up handing it to k tec on tuesday i really dont want a big bill if its something ofbvious or a little sensor in serious help any one bracknell areA? !!!!!! :(

260% JCW
Had the exact same problem except I sometimes would get hesitation when trying to accelerate then it would go, then hesitate again etc.....mine was a fooked fuel injector on cylinder 3 and through up a code that said "open circuit cylinder 3" IIRC.

If you got the down pour last night like I did around my area then it could well be just water causing problems....coil pack, spark plugs etc

I had this exact problem, fucked injector.

172 turbo
Really really fukkkd off now, spent so much on parts new ht leads, new spark plugs, new coil pack and now a new lamber sensor put it in manifold hole due to that's the one that normally goes wrong, does any one have any otha ideas what could be maybe sensors none are loose checked all for splits etc thanks !!?

Mk5 golf gti
Do you read? :)

No offence but read the thread, many people have said do not just throw money at parts

get it on a code reader and pinpoint the fault