ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spa Race Report

Turbos.
I'm afraid i haven't done this place/event much justice. In my keeness to be fully prepared, the camera was put aside for the most of the trip but hopefully i can fill some gaps with a paragraph or two...

The Spa Britcar race was a longer affair than normal, so we got our mate to be our third driver. Being experienced, he helped us with learning the track since we had only been once before, which was earlier this year.

After hearing that Spa had 320 days of rain a year, we were suprised it was just as hot in Belgium than it was in the UK! We were based in the old pitlane, which gave us a nice view of Eau Rouge.

P1060728.jpg

The pitlane itself was a challenge, having two kinks... i almost went off straight away! After a few laps though the 7km circuit came back to me. Although we set a decent time, the faster BMWs killed us on the straights (two seconds after Eau Rouge and another two on the Blanchimont section).

We had no new mods since Brands, that is apart from some tasty magnesium Speedlines which saved 14kg across the board. With the car being so low however, we had to shave the chassis to get them to fit!

P1060716.jpg

The new aero mods passed scrutineering and we had some inquisitive competitors taking a look too!

P1060713.jpg

P1060718.jpg

The race was the next day, and started at 7pm so i had a bit of time to check out the pit area...

P1060712.jpg

P1060714.jpg

P1060720.jpg

Some were keen though, testing their tyre/fuel changes throughout the morning!

P1060726.jpg

We weren't quite ready to do the same!

P1060725.jpg

The boys stripped the car down and put it altogether making sure it was all ok, and excluding the fire extinguisher system going off on top of Eau Rouge, mechanically the car was fine.

P1060723.jpg

P1060724.jpg

P1060739.jpg

P1060732.jpg

P1060721.jpg

When it comes to the race however, it was a disappointment. It started raining heavily - which was great for us, we had a better chance - but we had major problems. Qualifying 22nd, my dad started and got us up to 17th avoiding some tentative Porsches and Ferraris. A F430 put into the wall after Eau Rouge though and for half an hour the safety car was out.

As things got going, the throttle pedal jammed at 100%. Not suprisingly, my dad went off the track but eventually got it to the pits. We were 4 laps down before the car was back out...

Our mate James did a great stint though, at the time 4th fastest on track. He overtook our class rivals, but of course he was only unlapping us!

Eventually, it was my go. It was still wet and the windscreen was fogged up. I was fcuking determined to get a decent result though, and with the drying track i was on the pace straight away. Sadly, my optimism dried up soon after as the car spluttered 3/4 way round one lap.

I came into the pits and the boys tried finding out what the misfire was for. They played around and i was sent on my merry way, only for the car to start running on three cylinders! I limped back again, they changed coils, plugs etc. and once again i went out. The car never improved, but it was worth finishing the race so i hobbled round whilst everyone overtook me. We finshed 31st out of 44.

So, it was a pretty undignified ending to what we hoped would be a dream weekend. Its hard to draw positives but at least this brings some reality to the fact the little Lotus probably can't deal with these longer races! We'll stick to what it does best in future!

I'll leave you with some photos... i think we were the only ones without any damage!

P1060730.jpg

P1060745.jpg

P1060743.jpg

P1060746.jpg

P1060742.jpg

P1060741.jpg

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
enjoyed that! it's like our own little F1 driver on the forum :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I do enjoy reading your reports.

Shame about the car, but at least you're alive. This weekend is the anniversary of my mates dad who died racing cars 4 years ago. :(

Turbos.
Sorry to here that Dan! The guy in the Ferrari crash went to hospital but was OK. I heard he refused to wear a HANS device (stops you breaking your neck) for comfort reasons. Hopefully he'll reconsider...

LOL Seb, not quite.

M2 Competition
Good write-up Rob :) sad that you didnt place better, but the experience must have been worth it alone.

Turbos.
Bounced off two walls and hit a Mosler so no, didn't look too pretty! There was a crash later on too, i couldn't actually tell what it was where it was so mashed!

In all honesty Dan i'm a bit bummed about the weekend, but will have another crack someday.

Bounced off two walls and hit a Mosler so no, didn't look too pretty! There was a crash later on too, i couldn't actually tell what it was where it was so mashed!

In all honesty Dan i'm a bit bummed about the weekend, but will have another crack someday.

Eeek, an expensive bill for him then. Another great report.

Have your mechies been using that aluminium anti seize spray? (11th picture, of the hub/suspension assembly)

182cup & 172 racecar
Looked a great weekend shame you couldn't have a god run at it,pity the BPM boys didn't go with the clio cause I would have been there too.

Cupra
Interesting read. My favourite circuit, it must have been awesome to actually experience racing on that first hand!

Pity that things didn't go so well for you. I obviously don't know much about the regs etc but how come you were not allowed to have the vents on top of the wheel arches but you are allowed the new aerodynamic kit?

53 Clio's & counting

Try not to be down hearted fella, racings good and bad days, as you know, and im sure the lil lotus will be ok on the longer stints, probably just a bit of bad luck with the missfire

Tangoed Works
nice write up, shame about the finishing position but i guess its just a learning curve. driving in a competitive race around spa must be amazing.

BMW 320d M-Sport
A great circuit is Spa. A shame about your race weekend going how it did; the car is a great looking thing. Is that an orange Omega I spy tho?!

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Shame about the result after the effort. Better luck next time.

See you at snetterton if you are there?

Turbos.
Thanks guys. Will be at Snett in August yeah... will get murdered there!

I laterly found out the vents on our wings weren't allowed for safety reasons, because you could see the tyre below. They have to be curved off a bit, which we might get round to.

The Omega is more or less a silhouette. It is a Dutch Supercar Challenge car, of which there are a few like it with different shells (VW Passat etc.) They have about 700bhp...

Bumder With A Buffer
IS that the same Aston they used in Top Gear that time?? looks very similar???

P1060712.jpg

Edit and oh look at what they are advertising on the lower left bumper! That Car Dock thing I posted up ages ago! cool :)

Turbos.
Weren't you there? A drunk local came into our garage, tripped over a jack and face planted the floor. I could have sworn it was you...

TBH dude, you wouldn't have liked it, there were at least a handful of women there.

E90
LOL I wouldn't of minded coming to help make you sandwiches and put the kettle on. I'm a handy cook, I could of been your personal chef LOL

Seat Leon Supercopa
Bad luck guys :(
Did Clarkey & Gibbo win (again...!) I haven't seen the results.
Car is looking fantastic, pop over for a cheeky biere at Combe!

Turbos.
Yeah they did...rather inevitably. Gent/Caine were running in front (6th overall) but a hit they took from one of the Civics must have cost them as i don't understand how they lost their position. Shame as we really didn't need Wayne and Kevin winning...

Guy Spurr's BMW is being bumped upto Class 1 for some alleged cheating!

Seat Leon Supercopa
ooooh interesting !
I wonder if that's a DL1 thing showing too much power.
Not sure what spec his car is....must admit when you first look at it, you do think Class 1 !

Turbos.
Yeah... rumour i heard was they tried to hide their DL1...

If true, seems a bit OTT for an 'amateur' race series!

Dammit! Just realised I was actually AT Spa the same weekend you've reported on, didn't realise you'd been racing otherwise I'd have insisted we'd gone 2 days instead of just the Sunday.

We'd arrived in Belguim on the Saturday night (travelled up from Germany) and I remember setting up our tent in that f**king horrendous downpour, so I'm guessing you were racing in that lol?!

Here's the only photos I have, all from the Sunday though...

3789125677_f524499db9_b.jpg

3789942248_08e8b29134_b.jpg

3789944558_f43c8dd061_b.jpg

3789946782_686e6c6a41_b.jpg

3789949196_4a19ba8b71_b.jpg

3789951612_8c27ef7730_b.jpg

3789141963_3abbd0aa1f_b.jpg