ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers for Clio 3 RS - Pro's/Cons

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advise / pointers in regards to spacers for my RS 197. I'm having a set of H&R springs put on next week which should drop the car nicely and lose the dreaded arch gap, however I'm really on the fence about adding spacers too.
I've looked into it and it seems there's quite a divided opinion, 'more hassle than they're worth', 'can be dangerous', 'all show, no go' etc etc. I'm looking at the KTEC 19mm spacers as well as the locking wheel nuts to go with:
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4591&catid=&appid=3&pic=1
So this thread really has two questions behind it:
  • I've seen it mentioned that you should always buy 'high quality' spacers, are the above suitable? And also - are spacers worth the hassle (car is a daily driver with no intention of track use AKA 'proper driver').
  • If I opt out, has anyone got any picture of a lowered 197 / 200 without spacers? I fear my rear wheels may be so lost in my rear arches that I'll need to send out a search and rescue party.
Cheers
Steve

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
If you look in my project thread my car is a 197 on H&R's with the ktec 19mm spacers. 25mm is the size a lot of people go for but I don't like them.

Ktec are very reputable and the drive of the car hasn't changed much at all with the 19mm on. I took them off the other week actually to see what it was like and it makes no noticeable difference in the drive.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Nice one mate cheers for the reply - lovely looking car by the way!
Glad to hear the KTEC ones are reputable - this has added confidence.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
They look a bit crap being lowered without spacers.

Here's mine
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It sorely needs spacers

I've read mixed things about bolt through spacers with longer bolts... Longer bolts means more shear force on them etc

If you don't get them though, get bolt to hub, hub centric spacers (you'll need more than 20mm for these)

This means the spacer locates on your current hub centre spigot, gets bolted in place and has its own spigot for your wheel to be mounted to. You then bolt your wheel to the spacer.

Since you bolt your wheel to the spacer, the spacer must have steel inserts in it to screw the bolts to.

If it doesn't have steel inserts, you'll shear the thread eventually as the aluminium isn't up to repeated screwing.

Like this

spacers_hr_30mm_lg.jpg

Not this. Note the studs are bolted directly to the aluminium (it looks it at least)

ichi1.jpg

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Cheers Knuckles mate, am I right in saying yours in the picture doesn't have spacers (hence you saying 'it sorely needs spacers') - if so, that's exactly what I was looking to see, lowered and without spacers.
I understand what you mean about bolt-to-hub, hub-centric, and can understand the advantages. I've shopped around and I've linked the KTEC variants as they include the bolts too, and I can also add the locking wheel bolts (which are a must for me too). I'm guessing the H&Rs they are just the spacers alone and I'll need to source the bolts separately - trying not to overspend on these as although they are 'quality items which improve stance and width of car', don't want to be splashing out too much wonga for 4cm of girth (KTEC spacers x 2 plus locking wheel bolts would be around £160 combined already).

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah mine is just lowered without spacers.
Ah, I just had a quick look at ktecs website sorry.

I think the h&rs spacers come with additional bolts to secure the spacers to the hub. I could be wrong though. So that way you could still save your current bolts. But the h&rs are the pricier option.

This pic better shows the tuck on low suspension and no spacers.

image.jpeg

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Makes it easier without having to buy new bolts if I went H&R, however my current bolts suffer from 197-bolt-rust-syndrome and need sorting anyway, they currently have black caps on, so I'd welcome a new set of bolts.
Think I'll order them, see how I go on, cheers for the help, much appreciated.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Save making a thread and it might be a daft one. I've bought 5mm spacers for the front, h&r that locate onto the hub. Now my wheels are after market that need spiggot rings. But I assume and are running spiggot rings for the wheels too. In fact reading it all back I do need the spiggot rings. Blonde moment

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
I had Eibach 20mm spacers fitted to my 200, bolt to hub is definatly the way you want too go if your going too. Never had a problem with mine and I chose the Eibach as I know there a reputable name to have.

Only downside of getting them is you'll more than likely get a slight wobble at motorway speed until the car settles, I did in my case and thought they where fitted wrong at first.

Try and get a 4 wheel laser alignment straight after fitting, it improves the handling massively.
I personally think 25mm is too much.
image.jpeg

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I have 25mm H&R hub centric spacers on mine.
The only downside is that it sprays stones and shite up the side of your car. My wing mirror on one side looks like it has been shot with a shotgun lol.
They look best when lowered tho.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Cheers for the replies chaps - really helpful. I think after some research 20mm+ may a bit too much for my liking, the KTEC spacers I have on order are not bolt-to-hub sadly @mjcropper, but I'm fully willing to give them a shot. If I'm uneasy or not liking it, I'll reconsider the options.
Cheers for the pics @PacMan, car looks great, read before about the stone chip issues too, why can't we have these nice things without any downsides?! You get the chips sorted or you just living with them?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Read loads of stuff on here of 'horror stories' or bad experiences people have had.

But I ran H&R Trak+ Hubcentric spacers on my A3 for a couple of years with no problems, had the wheels on and off a fair few times as well.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Cheers for the replies chaps - really helpful. I think after some research 20mm+ may a bit too much for my liking, the KTEC spacers I have on order are not bolt-to-hub sadly @mjcropper, but I'm fully willing to give them a shot. If I'm uneasy or not liking it, I'll reconsider the options.
Cheers for the pics @PacMan, car looks great, read before about the stone chip issues too, why can't we have these nice things without any downsides?! You get the chips sorted or you just living with them?

Not a problem mate, I'm yet to try the ones you've bought so can't comment personally! Fingers crossed you don't have any issues, there is one thing though it doesn't half improve the look of the 200's :up:

Just make sure there torqued up correctly pal, mine where air gunned on and it was impossible to get them off haha.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I am just living with the stone chips at the mo.
I have had my spacers on for over 3 years now and been on a fair few track days with them. I have never had a problem with them touch wood!

They have been on and off a few times for cleaning and greasing to keep them good.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Cheers again for the help chaps, stuck the K-TEC spacers on over the weekend with extended bolts and they are perfect, no issues at all, front wheels look so good with the 19mm poke, very pleased! Crap pictures but I'll get some betters ones soon.
_20160604_140034.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
_20160604_155257.jpg

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Yes mate eventually, will probably grab a sprint spoiler/lip as not really a fan of the cup wing, will pick one up within the next month or two.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yes mate eventually, will probably grab a sprint spoiler/lip as not really a fan of the cup wing, will pick one up within the next month or two.

Good stuff.

We really need to get a meet set up as there seems to be quite a few active members from Yorkshire at the moment. Saying that, my 182's been sat on the drive for 3 weeks whilst I pull my finger out and order the correct parts for it ;)

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
We do, are you going CSF? There's a few meeting to convoy for the Saturday only. But a separate Yorkshire meet would also be good!

BG Clio 182
Just be so so careful with those spacers. You'd have been better buying the 20mm bolt to hub H R Trak ones to be honest mate.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Yeah extended bolts are always something to keep an eye on. Same as what has been said above. Better to have gone with bolt to hub spacers.