ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spark plug chewed to bits

Cro

Meg'd r27
:S Strangest thing I have seen so far on the car. Unsure at this stage whether this is would be the cause of my engine to die or just a side effect of it happening.

Anyway the plug on cylinder 3 looks like this:
IMG_0131.jpg

Engine just went OM NOM NOM to the end of it looks like.
When I whipped off the upper inlet there was small bits of metal which I now know was the plug.

So whats the story, what would have caused this? And what am I going to have to do to fix if it can be. Would the metal have caused damage inside the block?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm now guessing the end of that spark plug is in your engine.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Lol thanks for the confidence guys :rasp: But yeah know what you mean, never seen anything like it myself!
Best to strip the head and see or try and get away with an oil change? Engine flush possible?

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
i would say that will have done engine damage, i would be lifting the head of before i stuck a new spark plug in.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Bloody hell Cro! :eek:

Always knew your bus would eat most cars on the road but not itself surely?

Hope you get it sorted out and it's easy on the wallet mate

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
s**t, what the hell happend there, could it have been down to a faulty/cracked spark plug that worn out overtime to make it like that...

Cro

Meg'd r27
Not sure mate, i'd say by the way its happened something has just munched into it if thats even possible. Im totally lost as to an explanation

Mondeo TDCI 130
that seems likely.

better picture of the end of the plug possible? could be detonation caused by contaminated fuel?

Thats what happened last time i saw a plug like that ( another 172 )!! Even punched a hole through the coolant gallery in the head and lost that!

Be prepared for a big bill!

Cro

Meg'd r27
that seems likely.

better picture of the end of the plug possible? could be detonation caused by contaminated fuel?

I had just put in £15 fuel after being well into the red light actually!! I'll get a pic of the end of the plug for you now danny

BMW M5 & E36
Seeing as we're adding pics of interesting looking piston/valve/head combos I thought I'd add a couple of my own!

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
So what might have caused that danny? Strip the block and look for damage then or new one you reckon?

ITB'd MK1
So what might have caused that danny? Strip the block and look for damage then or new one you reckon?

well, in theory it could be over-revving. Seen them go on engines that have been living on the limiter too much. But there's also a fault that renault acknowledged in a tech update

RSC 182 Cup
Valve dropped off and mashed the end of the plug is a possible

A guy in Australia just had exactly that happen, but in his case spark plug couldn't be removed.

Here's a pic of his head:

photo2.jpg

Note the spark plug in the middle still fitted, and valve wedged in sideways!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Also seen strokers run lean, piston melts and when it stops running, you pull the plug and it's full of piston-metal.

That's usually expensive too.