ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker Upgrade?

Clio
Hello, it's me... again!

I know there's like another billion speaker threads on here but I can't seem to find a simple answer.

So I've recently got my first car and I'm such a novice. Basically I want to change the speakers, front doors and dash tweeters. I understand it'll probably be a dash off job which I'm fine with. I wan't to change them because the original door speaker on the right hand side doesn't work and the tweeter driver side crackles at like volume 10, which is pretty low.

So I've just brought an Alpine UTE 72-BT Head Unit, which I'm happy with. The head unit states that it has a 50watt per channel which I understand I'll probably get around 20 RMS.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to change the speakers? I've just eyed up these:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-sxe-1350s_p-20264.htm

Is it a case of removing old speaker, and putting in new speaker with original wiring, or will I need additional stuff?
I've read about cross-overs and amps but it's confusing as hell. I understand to get the best performance out of the speaker I'll need an amp but can I use them without one until I can afford a decent amp? And I have no idea about the cross-over, is it essential?

Thanks for any help - I apologize if the thread makes no sense, I'm terrible at explaining things.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a few little things, ideally I only want to spend around £50 on the front set, I also plan on adding some coax's in the rear at some point, and eventually a sub & amp in the boot (so i'm not too worried about how bassy the speakers are)

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Alright chap.

As per all those threads. Don't bother. Just replace the stock parts, like for like. The standard speakers will easily handle your Headunit power and will be better than a £50 set of bottom-grade components.

If you REALLY want to change the whole lot out, save yourself a LOT of grief and just put THESE in, they dont need any crossover fettling and just plug straight in.

Once a sub is in play, you'll turn off bass-tones to the speakers via the High Pass Filter and everything will be rosy.
ONE OF THESE would be a good match up. Too much rumble and you'll discover how rattly a Clio can be

Clio
Alright chap.

As per all those threads. Don't bother. Just replace the stock parts, like for like. The standard speakers will easily handle your Headunit power and will be better than a £50 set of bottom-grade components.

If you REALLY want to change the whole lot out, save yourself a LOT of grief and just put THESE in, they dont need any crossover fettling and just plug straight in.

Once a sub is in play, you'll turn off bass-tones to the speakers via the High Pass Filter and everything will be rosy.
ONE OF THESE would be a good match up. Too much rumble and you'll discover how rattly a Clio can be

You say, replace the stock parts like for like, would I have better sound with stock parts or the easy-fit pioneers? If stock, where would be the best place to buy them?

Also sub wise I was looking at the JBL GT BassPro12, unless you think I'd be better off with the 8" Alpine.

And finally without sounding like a complete imbecile, when you say turn off bass-tones to the speakers, how is this done? Is the High Pass Filter built into my head unit or what? Sorry if I sound utterly retarded haha! (EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the specs for my head unit and I see it's done via that)

Thanks for the reply mate.

Listerine & Poledo
You say, 1) replace the stock parts like for like, would I have better sound with stock parts or the easy-fit pioneers? If stock, where would be the best place to buy them?

2) Also sub wise I was looking at the JBL GT BassPro12, unless you think I'd be better off with the 8" Alpine.

3)And finally without sounding like a complete imbecile, when you say turn off bass-tones to the speakers, how is this done? Is the High Pass Filter built into my head unit or what? Sorry if I sound utterly retarded haha! (EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the specs for my head unit and I see it's done via that)

Thanks for the reply mate.
1) For headunit-only power, you'll do fine with OEM, stock kit. If you WANT to drop £60 on Pioneers, go for it. Alpine do an in-line amplifier that goes into the normal loom and means you'll get something close to 4x50w. With that in place, the Pioneers would be a good idea. It's just that, with headunit powr only, you'll notice no difference. (someone will turn up in a minute and say I'm wrong, they've never heard of the placebo effect)

2) To be honest, doesn't really matter. I was going to post a link for the JBL one as well, but it's just suggestions chap.

3) Yes, in your head unit, you'll be looking for HPF settings. EDIT: yep, there you go.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'm with @Goodj on this.

If you fit uprated speakers, but don't amp them sufficiently it can (and probably will) sound worse than OE speakers.

The main issue in a Clio is the lack of any real substance to the doors, floors, roof etc so if you start increasing the volume and bass all you do is introduce more rattles, echoes and general 'tinnyness'. The stereo in a Clio is never going to sound fantastic without a lot of time and effort (and money) being put into sound deadening etc.

Fit some good OE speakers or the Pioneers if you absolutely must, fit a sub (small and punchy rather than huge) and it'll be infinitely better than it is right now.

Clio
Anything's got to sound better than my speakers at the moment, they don't even work properly!

I hear what your saying about the sound deadening I've seen quite a few threads relating to this but I think that'll be too much of a big job for me, I'm like uber amateur haha!

And would I be best to source the speakers off ebay or something? I've just had a quick look and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, I constantly get results for laguna and megane.

Also, these cropped up as I just had a quick look, are these the same sort of thing as the pioneers?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...567153?hash=item19f56a4e31:g:qF8AAOSwp5JWVy02

Will the door speakers come with the tweeters or do I have to buy the two seperately?

Listerine & Poledo
The one's you've linked are "co-axial" speakers, where more than one speaker is in the speaker....so to speak. See the big metal tweeter sticking through the middle of it? In your clio, that tweeter sits in your dash instead.

In a broad-brush statement, a "component" set (where the different speakers are separate, like you have now) will give better audio, particularly in stereo imaging.

So, you need 1x door speaker
and
1x dash tweeter

If there's a breakers yard anywhere near you, you can likely avoid postage costs by walking in, asking for the parts, and walking away with them :)

Clio
The one's you've linked are "co-axial" speakers, where more than one speaker is in the speaker....so to speak. See the big metal tweeter sticking through the middle of it? In your clio, that tweeter sits in your dash instead.

In a broad-brush statement, a "component" set (where the different speakers are separate, like you have now) will give better audio, particularly in stereo imaging.

So, you need 1x door speaker
and
1x dash tweeter

If there's a breakers yard anywhere near you, you can likely avoid postage costs by walking in, asking for the parts, and walking away with them :smile:
Exellent mate, thanks for the help! I'll try finding some stock speakers, and just fit a sub. This should provide enough sound for me, I don't need roaring sound anyway haha.

Clio 1.2 16v
Exellent mate, thanks for the help! I'll try finding some stock speakers, and just fit a sub. This should provide enough sound for me, I don't need roaring sound anyway haha.
I had standard speakers along with 2 12" JBL subs and they were more than adequate