ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speakers recommendations.

right dunno much about speakers, but i have a renault clio dynamique 2002. a pionneer 7400mp on it. and factory speakers. what i want to do is to upgrade me speakers but dunno what to get.

i dont want to drill extra holes in the car and possible have a budget of £300~. what can u recommend and what sizes speakers do i requre for front and rear?

cheers

philk

silver valver/hybrid

dont know about the new clios but in the mk 1 kenwood 13cm speakers go straight in no probs in the front, in the back the speakers are so weedy i would put some larger speakers in the parcel shelf.

find out the speaker sizes and most will fit sraight in as long as there the same size. Jbls are very good for value for money and are excellent sound quality too.
what output and by how many ways does your amp give?

well my HU gives a 4X50w , but not decided bout getting a amp. btw, what about the wiring use the existing wires??

sorry i read it wrong, thought u said it was an amp.
well in that case upgrading the speakers probably wont do that much difference as theyre already designed for the head unit. existing wiring should be fine, leave it as it is.
you wanna get an amp to run uprated speakers. the sound may distort now when turning it up, but its not the speakers distorting its the head unit, it doesnt have enough power to run em to theyre full potential. everyone allways thinks its the otherway round the speakers distort ... so change em, but the actually the head unit distorts so amp the speakers.
soz bout the long post.
hope it helps.

so buy a amp and some speakers then? adn decent ones u can recommend? btw, when u look at speaker prices is it for 1 speasker or 2?

set of 2. theyll probably be different sizes in the front than the back too.
still say jbl for best quality and value for money, my mates got em and they sound wicked! or infinty (ive got) are excellent quality and not too expensive either.
things like pioneer, sony etc speaker wise tend to be more expensive and still have the same quality. just because theyre bigger more well known names but that dont mean theyre the best.

true, just went to halfords today,seen some infinity £70 +£25 for fitting, not bad, but i think ill be able to wire em up my self, is it easy would i require to change the cable as its better speakers?

Silver Fabia vRS

I have just changed all my speakers in my 172 with Pioneer TS-E1395 13cm 3-way speakers. They fit in no problems but you will need an adapter to connect them but this will apply for ALL coax speakers. The adapter is something like a Pioneer AD-EU800S and you will need two as they come in pairs. I got mine from my local Motorists center for £3.99 each. Buy the speakers from http://www.lowcostcaraudio.com for £52.00 per pair and enjoy the sound! I have just ordered a Pioneer KEH-P7020R head unit and 12 CD Changer, so may have it fitted for Southend next week if anyone wants a listen!

why would u need an adaptor? cut the old plugs off the end and crimp spade lugs on it about a 2 second job.

Silver Fabia vRS

3-way = Tweeter, mid range and bass
2-way = Mid range and bass
I think?

The reason I fitted the adapters is that when I come to sell the car all I need to do is unplug the adapters and plug in the old speakers. Id rather leave the original cables intact but if you want to arse about with cutting cables and fitting spade connectors be my guest! For the sake of £8 is it really worth it?

Silver Fabia vRS

You must be made of money then! Id keep them and sell them on as I certainly dont want to throw £100 on speakers and £400 on a head unit down the drain as it wont increase the value of the car.

2 Way speakers have the big woofer bit and a tweeter, 3 way have an extra "super-tweeter", which covers higher frequency.

3 Way may be best for the front of the car, but ony bother with 2 way in the back.

The Infinty are good, nice detail, but not exactly the last word in bass....

I would also recommend going for some components in the front and if you arent having a sub, then a decent set of 6x9s on a rear shelf. A reasonable 4 cahnel amp should do the trick - you can get a Sony/Kenwood etc for about £100 (Such as the KAC648 - £85 from CEL) Then something like the MB Quart DSD213 front components (£80) and MBQuart DTC169 6x9s (£85 from Caraudiodirect.com)

Spend the rest on cables etc and you should just about make it under budget, possibly buy a better amp if you can afford it.

My suggestion there, good kit, high quality and all for a good price.

Scott

yeah agree on the bass but none of my speakers have bass, theyre all set on high pass. the twin competition jensons in my boot does the bass bit.

Well yes Ben, I should imagine they would help along that issue a tad!!!

My suggestion was merely for the situation ay hand...hope it is of some use.

Expensive system for Williams on the way this way...just need the car now!

Scott

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Ive got Infinity 552s in the front of my 93 Clio. They give a bit more bass than some of the others (which suits me fine) but are very good however if youre not in to dance music Id get some that are more aimed at sound quality.

Cant speak for the latest E-Motion speakers but I always felt that the older Pioneer speakers were a bit weedy when it came to producing a full sound.

Rick

Silver Fabia vRS

I can confirm these Pioneers have come a long way and give a good crisp sound throughout the range with nice bass too.

BMW 320d Sport

Ive had CD Technologies co-axials in my doors for a long time now and the sound is quality.

Best bet though is to actually listen to them. Bring a couple of CDs along and try them out. Whatever you like the sound of is the speaker to get, whatever the brand is, or what recommendations people give.

yeah phily if ya coming to southend u can feel free to bring cds and try my system out.

oh and nick can your system handle bass good? got a cd for ya if so.

The speakers are the same size front and back in the Mk2 172, I am about to change mine, however, I can see how the front speaker grilles come off but the back ones are partially obscured by the back seat...do the seats need to come out...surely not!!!!

Morbius

silver valver/hybrid

Again i cant say for certain, as i dont have a mk 2 clio, but on most other hatchback cars the rear speakers are usually screwed upwards, so you almost have to climb in the boot and have a good look from underneath!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

The rear speakers will probably be 4 inch ones, and most likely screw upwards into the side of the parcel shelf. To upgrade, you probably wont be able to just fit just any speakers as most are designed to be screwed down. Sony do some direct replacements but these are only 25W RMS. You best bet is to get an MDF shelf and some 6x9s, youll notice the difference.

Rick

Silver Fabia vRS

Morbius - Are you coming to Southend? If you are Ill show you how to get the covers off, if not heres how:

1) Lift the rear seat up! They move and are actually really easy to remove completely.

2) Pull off speaker covers.

3) Remove 4 screws and cable off speaker and remove.

4) Screw in new speaker after connecting cable.

5) Put cover back on and set down.

6) Enjoy better sound!

philyau,
Im looking for a set of the adaptors you mentioned, do you have a brand and model number as Im having difficulty getting my hands on a set? Cheers muchly.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah mine handles bass, but its more an SQ system than a db drag race competitor!
But bring the CD along.

ICEMAN what adapters ? right ok guys its between infinity 552i or pioneer ts-e1395

which u reakon?

guy at base systems recommend the infinitys. but waht u think?

infinitys theyre crystal clear, ive got em now, had pioneers before and theres a reason ive still got the infintys