ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speed cameras / petrol

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE

Hi everybody does anybody know the range that the cameras can cover when the police man is at the side of the road with his tripod, 1 mile half a mile andy ideas? think i might have got caught doing 40 today in a 30 did slow down a but may have been to late. any help would be appreciated!

Also fuel i know that there has been a few topics with regards fuel for a 182 with it saying that you have to put 98 ron, which company sells 98ron ??

alot of the petrol companys i see either sell 95 or 97 ron.

Cheers Paul

Ford Fiesta

cameras can work upto a mile I believe but the accuracy wont be good at that range, more likely less than half a mile. depends on the road and bends etc.

Shell Optimax is over 98RON.

Dont bother spending a fortune on 98 or so RON fuel as long as the engine doesnt knock then dont worry about it.

The car was probably mapped for at least 93 octane fuel. Although it does better on 98 the difference isnt probably noticable.

Skoda Fabia vRS

the only UK forecourt petrol which is 98RON is Shell Optimax

BP Ultimate and other Super Unleaded are 97RON

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Shell isnt as good as people make out. Its a low grade fuel with loads of boosters in it which deteriorate. (sp)

A guy on the MR2OC has gone through 3 engines that all used Optimax, when he finally opened one up he found it was coated in residue and gunk left buy the crappy additives that go in the optimax.

Your better off with BP Ultimate or Esso Superplus as theyre a true 97ron.

Seeing as its not a turbo you should be fine on 95 though.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 30 October 2004

Dont bother spending a fortune on 98 or so RON fuel as long as the engine doesnt knock then dont worry about it.

The car was probably mapped for at least 93 octane fuel. Although it does better on 98 the difference isnt probably noticable.
Renault recommend 98 for the 172/182, but say that it will run fine on 95. However running on 95 will not put out as much power as 98 as the ECU will r****d the ignition a little bit.

Quote: Originally posted by davep24 on 30 October 2004

Renault recommend 98 for the 172/182, but say that it will run fine on 95. However running on 95 will not put out as much power as 98 as the ECU will r****d the ignition a little bit.
Its debatable I wouldnt imagine 95 Ron will after it at all the engines not at a huge state of tune The enigne only at a CR of 11-1 I think and its only 86% efficient so its equal to ~9.5 ECR which is low.

Dont forget the 182/172 are sold in China where high quality fuel might not be able to be got hold of so they have to map the car so it runs fine on any fuel.

Laser Speed Cameras?

Whilst the laser on a tripod mounted speed camera can be effective from, say, 1/2 a mile, if the system uses ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), the the effective range of the system will be governed by the lense on the CCTV camera attached to the device.

Realistically a couple of hundred yards is the maximum range these cameras will be able to effectively read your numberplate, even with a large zoom lense.

A very large zoom lens working at a long distance would have too unstable an image (because of your car movements, not camera movement) to provide an accurate number plate read.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 30 October 2004

Its debatable I wouldnt imagine 95 Ron will after it at all the engines not at a huge state of tune The enigne only at a CR of 11-1 I think and its only 86% efficient so its equal to ~9.5 ECR which is low.
Dont forget the 182/172 are sold in China where high quality fuel might not be able to be got hold of so they have to map the car so it runs fine on any fuel.
i thought most petrol cars CR was about 9:1 to 10:1, so the 172/182 has a high compression ratio. Its very hard to map a car to run fine on any fuel, the 172/182 will struggle to run at any decent power on American Regular which is an 87 RON fuel, even the premium in the US is only 91. As for china they use a 93 RON fuel, so it is possible for the 172/182 to go that low, but the ignition map may have to be reprogrammed to suit and it will not be putting out the same power as over hear.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 30 October 2004

Shell isnt as good as people make out. Its a low grade fuel with loads of boosters in it which deteriorate. (sp)
optimax does deteriorate, but it takes AGES for it to do it, more than weeks and months, its basically not a factor whatsoever in your average car

Yaris Hybrid

Correct, for it to deteriorate it has to be stored in poor conditions for quite some time and even after that the octane loss would only be in the region of 0.1 or 0.2 RON.

Whereas the anti optimax brigade are trying to make out that if you fill your tank up then by the time it gets down to half full the fuel has lost a couple of RON. Absolutely not true.

I always work on the fact that by the time you have seen the copper with the mini gatso or laser he has seen you. I got done twice in 4 mins and when i got the photo evidence they had zoomed right into my number plate and that was that . 44 mph 1st then 43 mph 2nd, 4 mins between never saw him . I am going back to 1999 so it may be diffrent today...

Quote: Originally posted by davep24 on 30 October 2004

i thought most petrol cars CR was about 9:1 to 10:1, so the 172/182 has a high compression ratio. Its very hard to map a car to run fine on any fuel, the 172/182 will struggle to run at any decent power on American Regular which is an 87 RON fuel, even the premium in the US is only 91. As for china they use a 93 RON fuel, so it is possible for the 172/182 to go that low, but the ignition map may have to be reprogrammed to suit and it will not be putting out the same power as over hear.
Yep I agree American fuel would be a problem for the 172 the knock would be quite high.

But I wouldnt worry much people run 200hp on the 172 engine without knock on 98 RON so 166.7hp (ie a 172) on 95 Ron should be fine with no knock.

Another way of looking at it is that you can run 220hp on a 172 engine (low prressure turbo) and be fine with 98RON.

Id personally not bother with the high price of optimax just use some other good stuff from esso etc. But Id drop a diesel engine in there if it were me.

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 30 October 2004
the only UK forecourt petrol which is 98RON is Shell Optimax

I noticed the other day that Q8 garages (if you have them round your way) also do a 98.