ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo & lumpy power

Clio 172 Cup
Hi,
My Clio 172 Cup has developed an odd fault. The speedo has started to work intermittently, more off than on when the car is warm but works ok when cold. Also, when driving at a constant speed and the speedo stops, it feels like the car has a sudden surge of power. The opposite happens if the speedo is not working and then comes on. I first thought the speedo sensor was goosed but the power issue is making me doubt myself.
Has anyone else experienced this combined fault and if so, what was the cure?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Bump...any suggestions to the above as mine has developed this exact fault??

Is it the speedo sensor...

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Speedo sensor will cause the speedo to play up (on 172's and 172 cups, later 182's use the abs system) don't remember mine causing power surges though, not saying it couldn't happen just didn't experience it when my sensor gave up

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Speedo sensor will cause the speedo to play up (on 172's and 172 cups, later 182's use the abs system) don't remember mine causing power surges though, not saying it couldn't happen just didn't experience it when my sensor gave up

All the signs point to the sensor but with the surges I was also thinking it could be throttle sensor related. If one such thing exists.......

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had a speedo sensor problem, bounced up and down, on/off.. new sensor and works now.

Surges too! Only slightly, like you'd notice you'd gone a bit faster, and then notice your speedo is suddenly working!

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Just a quick question before I order this: is the speedo Sensor the same part on 172 cups as it is on the rest of the range? Only asking as they go in different areas.

Thanks

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Look like this mate
Screenshot_2017-02-04-09-37-21.png

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Cheers mate. Have seen them on eBay just wanted to make sure the part wasn't specific to the cups. Thanks.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
No mate theyre all the same, I bought an eBay one originally which lasted about 3 months, genuine one was about 30 quid from memory

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just a quick question before I order this: is the speedo Sensor the same part on 172 cups as it is on the rest of the range? Only asking as they go in different areas.

Thanks

I should have the garage invoice at home, not sure if it'll have the part number..

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Seems about right, I paid £50 incl. labour I think. Just a case of reaching down the back of the engine.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
£38 for a sensor!!! Pants fully pulled down but need it and want it to be genuine. Thanks both for your input.