ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo not working on Cup??

172 Cup
Hi,
Know theres been a few posts on this already, It seem somtimes as im driving along the speedo drops to 0mph and stays there normaly after i stop the car it starts working again. From what ive read it sounds like its the speedo sensor on the gearbox as its a cup no ABS?
Where is this sensor i can see on down the back of the engine bay from looking above it has a heat shield round it is this the one? Has anyone got a picture of it?
Cheers RS

Lots of Alfas
I think its the same as the 172mk1, its at the back of the gearbox near the exhaust manifold. Its protected by a silver heat shield and plugs down into the gearbox.

a local garage charged me £50 to fix this, some sensor beside the engine?
thats the gearbox speedo sensor sounds like its this or the connectors failing
I think its the same as the 172mk1, its at the back of the gearbox near the exhaust manifold. Its protected by a silver heat shield and plugs down into the gearbox.

Yes thats the same sensors it works from the gearbox to give a speeedo output

Lots of Alfas
I doubt Renault keep one on the shelf. Give me the vehicle type code and fabrication code for a cup and ill have a look for the part number. It will be something like "CB1M" and "k006626".

172 Cup
Cheers matey just spoke to Renault and they have one in stock £18+ Vat not bad..
So am i right it is the one if you look from under the bonnet at the back of the engine it the one with the small heat shield round it pointing up at you? Just i read a couple of posts saying its easyest to get to it from under the car?

I doubt Renault keep one on the shelf. Give me the vehicle type code and fabrication code for a cup and ill have a look for the part number. It will be something like "CB1M" and "k006626".
CB1N the cup is
Cheers matey just spoke to Renault and they have one in stock £18+ Vat not bad..
So am i right it is the one if you look from under the bonnet at the back of the engine it the one with the small heat shield round it pointing up at you? Just i read a couple of posts saying its easyest to get to it from under the car?
Yep thats the one

172 Cup
Picked up the sensor today and having a go at fitting it. Got the little heat shield off easy enough and unpluged the wires but cant seem to get the old sensor out? Have i just got to "Pull Harder"? or is it a twist fit or somthing like that?
Cheers

PH1 172
Picked up the sensor today and having a go at fitting it. Got the little heat shield off easy enough and unpluged the wires but cant seem to get the old sensor out? Have i just got to "Pull Harder"? or is it a twist fit or somthing like that?
Cheers

Have a closer look and see if there is a metal clip around the bottom as you need to get a flat headed screw driver in between to pop it off so I was told when I had this problem.....but I was also told that you only need to squeeze the sides of the housing and then pull to get it out. Good luck with it mate.

172 Cup
Cheers matey ill have another look couldnt feel a metal clip tho, might wait till its cooled down abit this time tad hot if you touch the manifold lol :cry:

172 Cup
Just looking at the new one and it looks like half way down it there are a couple of clips either side? cant see these on the old on with it in place?
Any ideas???

Clio 172 Cup
Resurrecting this one, picked up a 172 Cup today and driving back the speedo seemed to do the same thing, fine most of the time but dropped to 0 MPH for 10 minutes or so, gave it some beans to the red line and it sprung back into life, begs the question whether my 41K mile is genuine haha but just wondered if the sensor replacement had worked for you, think I'll be doing the same, anyone get the part number? Cheers, apart from that I am loving it.