ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speedo Sensor - gearbox or ABS?

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I bought my 2001 Phase 2 172 with the speedo not working. I have looked at the car and to the rear of the engine by the manifold is a plug going into no-where and just dangling dangerously close to the manifold. I have looked at my Bro's Cup which i know does not have abs and it is plugged into a sensor in the gearbox.

Now i have been out and bought a sensor but i'm struggling to fit it into the gearbox, how hard are they normally to put in? do they need a really good push? or is it just a standard loom so the plug is actually redundant and it should be working off the abs?..........i'm confused!

ValverInBits
I took this picture while making my 182 manifold guide

DSC025091.jpg

Is that the speedo sensor we are talking about? this is a 172Ph2 non cup btw

If so, I couldn't remove it or shift it in any way. Real pain. Perhaps have someone slowly turn the gearbox (driveshaft(s) ) while you try and remove it/refit it.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Mark thats a great pic, that exactly what i'm talking about - i just get contradicting views when i use the search section on here as everyone seems to state a Phase 2 works off the ABS and only Phase 1's off the Gearbox.

But as yours is phase 2 that proves they do have the gearbox drive aswell. Think i need to stop being a girl and try pushing it in a little harder. Cheers Mark.

Pug 205 gti
mine came out easy enough when i changed mine the other day, i was a bit scared bout snappin it in there but it was ok

ValverInBits
I had a "good ol tug" on that and it wouldn't free at all. It made fitting the 182 manifold a pain in the c0ck.
It was a 51 plate if your interested. so early phase2, don't think that makes a difference.