ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo

PH1 172
Had to do a couple of motorway journeys lately and I have noticed my speedo does a little dance for me, but going and coming home from Alton Towers over the weekend, the speedo decided to go even more crazy and then go to 0mph for a while and then come back to life again!!

Now I have done a quick search and found a few posts but just wanted to check that I am going to go down the right route.....

I have a mk2 ph1 sport.....

1) Is my problem to do with the Speed sensor on the gearbox?
2) If it's the sensor, how do I get it out to replace it?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

PH1 172
Picked up the new speedo sensor wednesday and thought the guy was trying to sell me an empty box lol. Going to try and fit this on Sunday all be it the weather staying dry.

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
i got a mk2 phase 1

my whole dashboard has pretty much had it.
all the clocks are permantly on zero, so i have no speedo or petrol gauge.

i know a garage will charge a bomb, so im reluctant to get it looked at.

kinda geussing petrol atm ha.

but the lights on the dash work (handbrake and seatbelt icons) but the back light dosent come on.

any ideas anyone? :(

PH1 172
i had the same problem on my 2001 172, please upload your diy picture.

Still haven't got round to replacing mine yet......is the sensor directly on top of the gearbox or to the back of it? Reason I ask is that the one on top has a square top and looks nothing like the speed sensor I have (I know it's the right one though lol) and I don't want to be pulling out another sensor by accident.....

PH1 172
got a pic of this sensor your trying to fit?

Nope I haven't mate but it is long, thin and has a pen like bottom to it as into say it looks like you could write with it lol. I know it's the right sensor as I have spoken to people about it, just wanted to know if the speedo sensor is the one located directly on top of the gearbox :)

I had the same prob with my old ph1 you fit the sensor on top of the gear box, take the airbox pipe out to get in easier, but its a b*tch to get the onld one out!

PH1 172
Never got round to doing this over the weekend.....again :(....now I know this won't be done until after this weekend. Speedo still works but it plays up on the motorway all the time.