ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Splitter Damage by 'Council'

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I have parked in a place with 2 small puddles in it this morning in Birmingham, problem is that the 2 dips where the puddles are were accompanied by a raised bit of tarmac where a car must have sunk in the summer heat or something. Suffice to say I caught my splitter on it, and now have smashed it in the middle.

Question is:-

Has anyone ever claimed against a council? What do I need to do apart from take piccies? Do I need to get a lawyer involved?

Any help greatly accepted. :)
Donny

Chocolate Bar™
get as many piccies as possible. You should be able to do it over the small claims court, or moneyclaimonline.gov (i think thats the address) if they dont give in.

If the cars lowered, make sure the suspension is TUV approved so they cant have you on that

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
get as many piccies as possible. You should be able to do it over the small claims court, or moneyclaimonline.gov (i think thats the address) if they dont give in.

If the cars lowered, make sure the suspension is TUV approved so they cant have you on that

Car is at the cup standard ride height. I know I can get a new splitter from fleabay for 50 quid, but why should I, when it wasn't like I hit the kerb, the holes were about 12 inches away from the kerb! Thanks for the info tho Middo (and also you Kingy, most appreciated).

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
get as many pictures of the dodgy road/pot hole etc etc etc NOW

Fred, tried when I finished work, but too dark to fully show what it was like, I'm in work at 8 tomorrow morning, so will do it on the way in tomorrow, I can't do it now as I live in Telford and work in Brum!

Chocolate Bar™

Car is at the cup standard ride height. I know I can get a new splitter from fleabay for 50 quid, but why should I, when it wasn't like I hit the kerb, the holes were about 12 inches away from the kerb! Thanks for the info tho Middo (and also you Kingy, most appreciated).

not a problem then, sue there arses!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
If 'you' are the first person to report this you have no chance.

So before you 'rev' at the council get someone else to phone in & report it,
then 'you' phone in & tell them you have damage.

The first person to report is 'not' allowed to claim as the council by law need time time to fix problems.

The first person to report is 'not' allowed to claim as the council by law need time time to fix problems.

Precisely what I was going to say.

Chocolate Bar™
ah yeah forgot about that. not a problem, just get your friends/friends of friends etc ring in as well ;)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Steve, you are a hero! :hail: :cheers:

Will get one of the lads in work to phone in tomorrow morning. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, this is hopefully worth the fiver alone...just a bit gutting as I've got the RR on Saturday, and this has happened...could have been worse though. :)

Clio200 EDC Lux
A few years ago a water board cover blew my front tyre whilst going round a roundabout, sent them a letter. The rang me up told me to get it fixed and send them the bill - result :)

Ad

MK2 FRS
s**t happens, but I just cant see the point of claiming of the council.

To me it wouldnt be worth the hassle, and reporting it first so you can then claim is fraud and as such is documented on this forum.

Mercedes SLK350
You need to take pics of the road and pics of your damaged car, drop the images on a cd and write a letter stating all the facts. Find out where you need to send the info to, and take it there.

In July my bumper was scratched by a Coventry City Council binman, luckily my car was parked under my CCTV camera at work, so I took a video, cd, and a letter to the council. All the information was passed on to the people who the council are insured with. They have agreed to pay for my repairs, so I got a result.

Last edited:
  PH1 Oddy, M140i
Hey Donny, unlicky dude but I gotta share the sentement from Ads FIRST POINT....as for his second point well...........(Get a life!)

I hit a fox a few weeks ago and the damage cost me over £1000 to fix, theres probabaly some farmer somewhere I could claim from for not putting his fences up right!! It just wont be worth it. You might have some fun trying though!!

Clio 172 mk2
Do all you can to get it fixed by them.....and if you can't get it sorted just make their lives difficult

Hey Donny, unlicky dude but I gotta share the sentement from Ads FIRST POINT....as for his second point well...........(Get a life!)

I hit a fox a few weeks ago and the damage cost me over £1000 to fix, theres probabaly some farmer somewhere I could claim from for not putting his fences up right!! It just wont be worth it. You might have some fun trying though!!

Eh? A fox farmer??

Eh? A fox farmer??

PMSL! :lolup:

I would buy the £50 ebay splitter and claim off the council.

Ad

MK2 FRS

I have a life cheers mate. Just stating it as it is......I just dont see why people are on the grab all the time...

I got a stone chip in the windscree of a wagon which flicked up, do a chase the £50 or just get it sorted?? Simple answer really.

As for the fox and farmer thing?? you can be serious. lol.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

I have a life cheers mate. Just stating it as it is......I just dont see why people are on the grab all the time...

I got a stone chip in the windscree of a wagon which flicked up, do a chase the £50 or just get it sorted?? Simple answer really.

Ad, its not a case of being on the grab, With my old splitter, I smashed it on a kerbstone, my fault, I replaced it. This was something that was not my fault, and I don't see why I should have to pay for the inadequacies of a council who can't replace holes in the road with tarmac. I've had a windscreen chip before, but I didn't try and get the money for it, I did it off my own bat without complaint. So its not like I'm on the grab for things.

I'm going to report it, but I haven't asked anyone to report it first, because I'm not like that. But I do want the issue addressed by the council.

I put this on here for advice, I don't want some form of $lagging match, as this is not what I set out to do...I just wanted to see where I stood

Clio 172 mk2

Ad, its not a case of being on the grab, With my old splitter, I smashed it on a kerbstone, my fault, I replaced it. This was something that was not my fault, and I don't see why I should have to pay for the inadequacies of a council who can't replace holes in the road with tarmac. I've had a windscreen chip before, but I didn't try and get the money for it, I did it off my own bat without complaint. So its not like I'm on the grab for things.

I'm going to report it, but I haven't asked anyone to report it first, because I'm not like that. But I do want the issue addressed by the council.

I put this on here for advice, I don't want some form of $lagging match, as this is not what I set out to do...I just wanted to see where I stood

I totally see your point and wish you the best of luck with it

TBH it's about time we (motorists) started kicking up more fuss about the state of the roads and the damage it can cause....after all we're being taxed to f**k and fleeced at every oppurtunity by car parking charges and tickets etc.

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ ditto, I am all for reporting things. The councils in general should be far more receptive to people doing this as it saves them mobney in the long run.

It was far from a slagging match. Apologies if I offended, but I am pretty straight talking and say how I see things.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
^^^^^^^^The problem is, you report a hole.

The van arrives with a bucket of 'drive repair', the van dissapears & it rains.

Heyho, hole is back as the repair rubbish is washed out.

Instead of patching, when wil they redo our roads.

White Sti Hatch
Dunno how you go bout doin it but guy on DDCruise site complained to the council since one of the pothole on a road destroyed his tyre, they eventually gave in and payed for the tyre and fix that pot hole....Dunno if it would be that easy for you though

Clio 172
Hope you get it sorted. Roads are in a state near us too and I'm terrified of going over the potholes and dips in the road faster than 20mph as it could easily knacker the suspension. :( What do we pay taxes for???

Rsport182Cup'd
Has anyone ever claimed against a council? What do I need to do apart from take piccies? Do I need to get a lawyer involved?

Previously sued DMBC for a new tyre after taking a photo of pothole going to garage get tyre replaced then phone them and tell them where pothole was and date and time of incident etc, they said send the receipt and pay cheque value dependant on tread wear / remainin on tyre, tyre garage (ATS) have forms to write on,
hope this is of help, if not this time if anybody does get tyre damage from hittin a pothole, sharp sudden impact causes damage to the casing of tyre

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Id take the photo's on a polaroid camera rather than a digital one......Aparently due to photo editing software they require this.

May not be true, but better safe than sorry.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Correct me if I am wrong here (which I may be) but, isn't there a clause that says something like you park your car in a council car park at your own risk? If this is right, you may have abit of a hard time claiming from them. Good luck to you if you can though, it's about time they did something about their darn car parks, not to mention the state of our roads.

top of the pyramid
was it on the road or in a car park

anyway i think you should claim, i mean we pay road tax and for what ? all the roads are absoultly crap

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
was it on the road or in a car park

anyway i think you should claim, i mean we pay road tax and for what ? all the roads are absoultly crap

Its a road off the main road (no name though !?!) but is marked with lines on the one side, and then goes into a car park from there. Have asked for a claim form from Birmingham City Council, and will take it from there.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Hey Donnie, you now gone back up noorf?? See your location as Edinburgh, you up there now, or still round the Mids? If you're in the Mids, there's a Rolling Road up in Telford tomorrow (Sat 25/11). If not, then no worries.

Hows you getting on?

Donny