ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spluttering at idle only

Does anyone know what might be up? It drives completely fine, no warning lights or anything but at idle it sounds like crap. Also, I gave my tailpipes a reet good clean the other day, after a day of driving they're black again and I noticed black splatter over my rear bumper. It could just be stuff picked up off the wet roads and I'm being over cautious.

15519186146_82e344bf25_b.jpg

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup clio v6 st
does it smell like burning oil,im no mechanic lol but ive had this on a saxo it was running rich i was told,i would get it checked somewhere though

It's just dirt. I've noticed this in my engine bay too. It's probably not related and I'm being overly-cautious but there are two dark patches at the bottom of the inlets and also a bit of oil coming from the VVT solenoid (I think that's what it's called).

15567244032_afc135b32e_h.jpg

R

RyanWXM

100% Coil Pack mate had same issue with mine. Thought it was the plugs but they were fine. If you take out one of the Ht leads and check the rubbers on them they should be nice and soft and dry. Mine had a bit of moister and the rubber had turned hard the the leads arching to the engine which is causing the sputtering. As soon as you rev is does it disappear and what revs is it idling on ?? @jesus

Thanks @welshname Rhys. It's only just had a new coil pack so I hope it's not that. I'll check for moisture or damage though and go from there.

It does disappear when I rev or drive, but it's not a proper misfire type splutter like usual and the video does exaggerate the sound.

R

RyanWXM

@jesus might just be one for the rubbers on the end of the HT leads that is split or a bit sad and it might be arcing. Worth a check really

Beaten up 182
Might sound silly but check your relays. I had a lot of corrosion on mine, I cleaned the contacts and replaced the relays and it ran a lot smoother.

Have you filled up at different garage to usual? Sometimes poor fuel quality can cause those symptoms.. Just thinking outside the box... Regards, Steve

Also may be worth replacing the fuel filter before spending to much dosh on new HT leads, coil packs etc.

Might sound silly but check your relays. I had a lot of corrosion on mine, I cleaned the contacts and replaced the relays and it ran a lot smoother.
Worth a try... where/what are they?

Have you filled up at different garage to usual? Sometimes poor fuel quality can cause those symptoms.. Just thinking outside the box... Regards, Steve

Also may be worth replacing the fuel filter before spending to much dosh on new HT leads, coil packs etc.
It's been doing it for a while now :( at first I ran it on crap 95 fuel but then switched to Tesco Momentum 99 and it died down a bit. Now it's doing it still so tried V-Power and it's still at it.

Where/how easy is it to change the fuel filter?

Cheers.

Worth a try... where/what are they?

It's been doing it for a while now 😧 at first I ran it on crap 95 fuel but then switched to Tesco Momentum 99 and it died down a bit. Now it's doing it still so tried V-Power and it's still at it.

Where/how easy is it to change the fuel filter?

Cheers.

Fuel filter is a snap on 'in line' plastic jobby.. Very easy to replace on a ph2. Up on a ramp and you'll see it adjacent to the fuel tank. Will cost about £7 for Sport or Non-sport.
Muller part #FB212P
Bosch part #0450902161
But double check before you order!
Keep filling up with V-Power and once the 95 (and the 99 tesco stuff) has completely run through I'd bet the spluttering will stop.. imho

Thank you for the useful information Steve! :beers:
Most welcome..

Also re. relays (mind the pun) and I'm sure an auto-electrician would laugh at this explaination.

In laymans terms, they switch a low current input i.e. the supply from a dashboard switch for your fog lights, to a high current output.. i.e. the current needed by the fog lights themselves.

Beaten up 182
I replaced mine as they all looked a mess and one was certainly dead. The big square ones can be found in halfords and the rectangular ones on eBay.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yep.. thought I was right! Here you go @incy-spider
http://www.livingstonautoparts.co.uk/Service-Parts/Fuel-Filters/Renault/Clio/all/2.0/2005/Parts.aspx
It's okay, we all make mistakes.. Doesn't matter to me anyway.. I was just trying help the op ;)
Just glad that I didn't provide the wrong information.

I could put in my own registration number of my 182 and that comes up, if I put the reg number of my 182 in on Dialogys at my own renault dealership where I work on lots and lots of 182 Clios besides mine I can say '182's don't have inline fuel filters' they have a small filter attached to the bottom of the fuel pump in the tank like a little bag... They don't ever block up as submerged in fuel and inclosed within the fuel tank sender.

(Renault do say to change at 150k though)

Ph 1 Clio 172s have inline fuel filters, never trust generic look ups. Not your fault :)

Beaten up 182
Relays will not make it splutter on idle, there is no inline filter on 182 clios.
Mine certainly made a difference. I never had the time to trace why, I changed them because they were all badly corroded. I'm guessing possibly comprising the supply to the coil pack.