ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sporty or boring

Greetings all, (sorry bit of a long post)
I would like some opinions please. I have narrowed my next car down to either a 182 or a T-Sport Corolla. Two different cars I know. The 182 is far more sporty and better handling and is cheaper to buy. Running costs are about the same. I do approx 10,000 miles a year.

For me, I would take the 182 every time, but I am really worried about the 182’s reliability. Ideally, I want to keep this car a good 5 years. After reading a lot of the posts here, there seems to be an awful lot of problems with the 182. If it’s not water impeding under the rear seats, it’s a faulty exhaust.

The list seems to go on and on. I know that all cars have problems, the Corolla has it’s own faults, but at least the dealers seem to be a little bit more helpful than Renaults..

So if you had the choice of reliability over “sportiness” and with what you know now after owning a 182, which would you all choose?

Thanks everyone,

Chive.

To say the Corolla is meant to be a sports model, it doesnt look very sporty at all IMO. As far as the 182, sure a few peeps will reply soon.

I think the problems are blown out of proportion really.
And youve got to remember that people only post on here when they have a problem. So all you see is the negative side.

As far as we may know, there may be 100 happy 182 owners to every 1 unhappy one. Which in reality is nothing.

Im chuffed with my 182, no problems with it whatsoever, and i dont see any issues with the build quality either.

Renaultsport Clio 172 16v

If you want reliability then its got to be the Toyota. If you got the 182 i think you would spend 2 out of 5 years in a AA van. :p

Go for the 182 , you wont be disapointed.

All cars have problems and Renault is defo no exception.

Anyone who posts here will tell you about their problems

Check around for the number of smiley faces that people have when driving it though.

Remember most people will moan about a car and not praise it.

just have a look at the poll on the cliosport homepage, 9 out of 10 clio owners would have another one, so they cant be all that bad

Da

Less

think the Dealer problems all depend on location. my local dealer (Nicholas Smiths in Skipton) are top-notch and Ive never had any complaints about them when taking my Clio there. When I upgrade to a 182 (18months ish) i will definitely be using this dealer and all the teething problems with the 182 arent worrying me in the slightest.

Deffo got for the 182, the so called T SPORT (theres a contradiction in terms) isnt really that sporty at all. PLus the Toyota is bland, the clio certainly isnt that!!! After nearly 9 months of ownership I have not had 1 problem (touch wood) and I have not held back with it (it did a trackday last month with no probs at all) Like has been stated above you only ever here about the bad cars, you go on any forum and I will guarantee there are posts similar to the ones on here.

phew.. hoped that helped!

3 MPS

i find reno to be very very helpful and any problems i have and there has been a good few, then they have sorted it no silly questions asked.

i found ford to be the biggest bunch of idiots off them all .

oh mine is a 53 cup , but go for the 182 , you wont regret it at all mate.

Yaris Hybrid

I think the 182 will be a lot more fun to drive. Its also more respected as a hot hatch and has a better image. Its also a lot cheaper.

The T Sport is sure to be more comfortable, more reliable and of course the Toyota dealers show Renault up for the monkeys that they are.

I dont buy this "people only post when they have a problem" argument. There have been threads asking if anyone hasnt had a problem and there are ten times as many owners that have had faults or bits missing on delivery than have had a perfect experience.

Id still get the Clio though.

i had a 172 cup and never had a single problem with it, i now have a 182 and although i have had to have a new centre section in the exhaust i really do like the car and besides a rattle that i have now sorted i havent had another problem, for the money there is nothing thats new that comes close

I hate to say it but the three Toyota the family had from almost new were terriable and the Yaris build isnt very good form the ones Ive seen.

Renault might have poor build quailty but just because you pay the extra for german doesnt mean it will be any beter.

Id have no hesistation buying another CLio even with the problems Ive had.

My parents have had Mercs as well both of which had bigger problems than my car.

E91 M Sport

Corolla T-Sport doesnt handle very well, it has a good engine though, but the car is too heavy to exploit it properly - you wont find it enjoyable like the clio...

...why are you thinking of those two though? If youre worried about the reliability of the Clio theres a perfect car for you....

Civic Type-R

(boring car compared to the clio, but still faaar more enjoyable than the corolla)

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah CTR is probably the middle ground - or some would say its even better than the Clio.

On Toyota build quality, my brothers Yaris makes a complete monkey out of my 182.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

if i could afford it i would have a CTR as it is about the same price as the corrola but if your on a budget get the 182 i love mine. as for the aftersales service it depends on the dealer where i brought my car from they are crap but i went to another and they could not be any more helpful.

Thanks for everyone’s comments so far. I did have a look at the Type R, but the kit u get is poor for the price, and the running costs, insurance, was more.

I think phunkey_monkeh made a good point, most internet forums only point out the negative sides, I think I’ve got caught up in everyone’s moans lol. I did have a Yaris once, gr8 car, good reliability, but it rattled like a good ‘un.

I think I’m coming round to the fact that my next car is going to be the 182. As others have pointed out, every manufacturer has problems at some stage, who would have thought that Merc’s would have so many problems given the price, apparently at the moment they are one of the most problematic cars around.

But taken in relation to car reliability 10 years ago, I guess even the worse is still good compared to years ago. At least I’ll have the 5 years AA cover to help me out if necessary lol.

Chive

fat 182

dont get the toyota the boring and i reckon the build on my 182 is just as good as my mr2 roadster i had if not better !

car makers cannot aford to make kak cars any more

as for relablity my mr2 was always in the garage you will get little problems no matter what you buy

Yaris Hybrid

Whats the performance of the 182 like compared to the Roadster? Forget manufacturers figures, how do you find it?

Youll have three years warranty with any new Renault - and can extend it if needs be to five years.

Ive owned plenty of older cars and, without question, the best form of reliability is to own the car yourself for a long period! Things that go wrong once rarely do so again.

Actually, IIRC the Clio was rated as the most reliable small car in one of the fleet magazines.

fat 182

the roadster had awsome handling in the dry two headed monster in the wet only had 140bhp

the 182 would blow it away from a standing start but wouldnt touch on a bendy road in the dry

the clio a better all rounder and much more practical

and when the missus had got a 36in inside leg its alot more easy to drive

the mr2 has no leg room its made for tiny japs but i do miss it on sunny days

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 09 January 2005

Youll have three years warranty with any new Renault - and can extend it if needs be to five years.

Ive owned plenty of older cars and, without question, the best form of reliability is to own the car yourself for a long period! Things that go wrong once rarely do so again.

Actually, IIRC the Clio was rated as the most reliable small car in one of the fleet magazines.

How do you extend it for another 2 years and how much does that cost?