ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraypainting.......... HELP!

Clive the Clio no. 2
Hi all,

I am looking to colour code the exterior door trims, (the black bit that runs through the middle of the car). And also the wingmirror casings.

as i have neer spraypainted before i was wondering if somebody could give me instructions!!

All i have is the spraypaint, nothing else, do i need laquer or primer e.t.c?

do the door trims and the wingmirror casings pop off?!

i have no idea and i would love some help!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
The door bumpstrips slide of both towards the centre but the door must be open... can sometimes be tricky!

The plastic inserts on the front bumper also pop out...

you need to give them a sand down or you wont have a good finish... when they are smooth apply 2-3 coats of primer 2-3 coats of colour and 2-3 coats of laqure but belive me mate....

Its just not wroth it... pay a little bit more and get it done by a pro! ive done this 4 5 times and its still not that good!

Punto/Clio GTT
The door bumpstrips slide of both towards the centre but the door must be open... can sometimes be tricky!

you need to give them a sand down or you wont have a good finish... when they are smooth apply 2-3 coats of primer 2-3 coats of colour and 2-3 coats of laqure but belive me mate....

Its just not wroth it... pay a little bit more and get it done by a pro! ive done this 4 5 times and its still not that good!

it is worth it if you can spray decent enough and will cost about 1/5th of the price of a pro job

Clive the Clio no. 2
I have never sprayed before!!!

So i very much doubt it woud be a excellent job!!

how much would it cost to get it done professionally?

Clio 200
difference between spraying and painting out a can though - can be quite tricky out a can because of the lack of pressure makes it easy to get a lot of runs.

as for cost - go round a few places and get quotes for it shouldnt be too expensive a wouldnt think.

Clive the Clio no. 2
i think im going to try it myself, and if i do a s**t job, then i will just take it to a pro,

i think i will have to go to halfrauds tonight and pick up some primer and laquer,

500ml - 1 litre?

how much would i need to cover it all?

Clive the Clio no. 2
my dad has a compressor, but not sure about the spray gun,

if not, i will just have to do it by hand, i take it then that it difficult?

Punto/Clio GTT
nah not really mate.

it will work out cheaper if you use aerosols, but you will get a better, more durable finish with a spraygun/compressor.

if youre using spraygun compressor, then id probably get just
half a litre of basecoat,
small can of thinners,
small can of 2k hardener,
small can of laquer.
small tin of 2k primer
generally i think the smallest they sell them is in litre tins, except maybe the primer which ive only ever bought in 5 litre tins.

the basecoat will have a ratio on it and is generally between 1:1 and 1:2 with thinners, so 1/2 litre of basecoat will mix up about a litre, which is plenty.
laquer mixes up with the hardener usually 4:1 or 5:1 with 10% thinners, itll tell you on the can anyway.

if you wanna do it by aerosol, id get
2 cans of colour
2 cans of laquer
2 cans of aerosol cellulose primer

and your sanding paper on top.

Clive the Clio no. 2
i think i will do it by hand!

I have looked on halfords and they do a wide range of primers,

question number 100 lol!

what colour primer do i get?! there is loads of different colours.

clio 1.2 dynamique 16v
Hey pal first time doing all this,

New member in all :D

I am going to get this colour coding done to my clio and i got a quote to have the door handles side trim front rear bumper and the spoiler sprayed for £180. Which I think is money well spent.

I believe do it nice or do it twice I personally would't take the chance doing it myself and take it to A pro.

Hunt around and get best prices they will always budge on price to an extent so barter.

Best of luck pal :)

Punto/Clio GTT
depends on the colour of your car, if you can get primer thats same colour as your car then it takes less coats of basecoat to cover it. some colours ive sprayed at work have took 20 coats to cover properly, whereas some colours have been done in 2.

so try get the colour of your car, if not, just whatever really, grey is my usual choice

Clive the Clio no. 2
my clio is paicific blue,

so a dark blue should do with the primer,

Slothin: Thanks for the help mate, im going to try it myself first, and if i mess it up then i will do it professionally,

im going to try it this weekend, so i will post pics up on monday,

and if it is gash then let me know!!

Mk1 Maxim Sport
good on ya for havin a go mate, bin quoted £130 to have all myne colour coded proffesionaly so im gna have a go aswel.

Just a quick question for FM-696. The spray guy i got a quote off said something about having to apply a gel to the plastic to give it a metalic look. Will i need this or will sanding be enough?? an how easy is it to get plastic smooth?

If i sand it all down, prime, paint, lacquer etc will it look metalic by the end of it or just blue plastic???

Gna have a go meself then as said if i mess it up ill get it done properly lol

Punto/Clio GTT
"gel" was probably plastic primer or scan seal, dont really do anything to affect the metallic though, just promotes addhesion.

theres 2 ways you can do it, you can either sand your plastics down perfectly smooth which can take a while, or you can give them a good sanding with like P320 and just build up layers of primer to fill any textures, reapplying primer when you need to. once its all built up and theyre smooth, then add youre colour/clearcoat

if your cars metallic and you have the right colour in the can and the laquer is a decent finish, they will be metalic

Clive the Clio no. 2
i have just started to pull the door trims off, and i realised, would it be easier if i still did it when the trims are on the car? just put newspaper around the car so the trims are exposed?

can i do that or is that stupid?!

I would take everything off mate to be able to rub it down properly and not have the arse of masking up the car. also, if you can mannage it I would encorage you to paint it properly, using a compresser / spray gun etc. I paint used to have the rally and race cars I look after sent away to be painted but have since learnt to do it myself and its not that hard, and plenty of friendly faces to give you advice.

YOu will be 400% happier with the finish, spray cans will look terrible! You will never get a proper gloss finish that matches the car.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
^^ but if its a choice between £130 or £20 i know which id prefer, least ur learning as u go. If u make a c**k up then fair enuff send them off and have them done but may aswel save ur cash an try it urself first. U never know they mite come out spot on an ull av saved a fortune.

NJ.

525i, 66' Bug, Civic
Mine was done with aerosols

noonnnono.jpg

You'll need to spend a while flatting the plastic then use etch primer, primer, basecoat, laquer

etch primer will allow the coats to stick, the first time i tried without etch and once dry the paint peeled of in 1 big strip

Once its done, lots of polish

Punto/Clio GTT
Mine was done with aerosols

You'll need to spend a while flatting the plastic then use etch primer, primer, basecoat, laquer

etch primer will allow the coats to stick, the first time i tried without etch and once dry the paint peeled of in 1 big strip

you mean plastic primer?

etch is for bare metal...

NJ.

525i, 66' Bug, Civic
dont think it was that

filler primer i think, a mate of mine got the paint

Punto/Clio GTT
ah, gonna say, etch is for metal, it becomes one with the metal, like becomes part of it, unlike normal primer which just covers in coats and lays on top.

i remember it from college years ago in one of my tests "etch primer bonds with the metal in a lock and key mechanism meaning it cannot be removed without an abrasive"

:D

Mk1 Maxim Sport
"gel" was probably plastic primer or scan seal, dont really do anything to affect the metallic though, just promotes addhesion.

theres 2 ways you can do it, you can either sand your plastics down perfectly smooth which can take a while, or you can give them a good sanding with like P320 and just build up layers of primer to fill any textures, reapplying primer when you need to. once its all built up and theyre smooth, then add youre colour/clearcoat

if your cars metallic and you have the right colour in the can and the laquer is a decent finish, they will be metalic

Cheers for that thats a great help, just know i dont need that gel now so i can go ahead and sand like crazy and then build it up with primer? Cheers mate, excellent advice one again lol.

Punto/Clio GTT
yea, id sand it down so its all dull, then give it a wetflat with like P800/P1000 or P1200, this just smooths them that bit more and takes away any furring. then give them a few good coats of primer and leave them overnight to sink into the plastic. wetflat that and give them another couple of coats. sand that, then itll be ready for painting

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FM... after a bit of advice when it comes to painting something that is already painted... Have a dynamic spoiler for my ph1 and its silver at the mo, car is maroon or whatever you fancy calling it... but

What grades of paper would you use to sand it back and how far would i sand it back? I.e would i need to go back to the plasic?

Do i need to primer? or just paint and laquer as it is already painted?

This thread has made me feel like having a go at my sidestrips and spoiler myself. Cheers for the wisedom!

Punto/Clio GTT
if the laquer is good then you can either give it a grey scotchbrite all over or give it a wetflat with P800/P1000 or P1200.

if the finish isnt good and its damaged/scratched, id sand it with P320 dry, sand out any scratches/chips, then primer it, either all over if theres damage pretty much all around it, or just spot prime if its only a couple of marks

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
using fine grade sandpaper 1200 or 1500 with water removing any imperfections (sh1t bits) lol

Clive the Clio no. 2
i have been reading this thread through and i noticed somebody put plastic primer down?!

I just bought two cans of normal grey primer, will this mean that the basecoat will not stick?

Punto/Clio GTT
it will be fine aslong as you prep them well before primer and prep the primer well before basecoat.

ideally you should use it or scan seal, but it aint 100% essential aslong as the prep is good

Shed.

it is worth it if you can spray decent enough and will cost about 1/5th of the price of a pro job

Ive done my door handles and they have turned out fine ! Ive so far sprayed my dash inserts and my door handles. Theyre fine.

I admit i must of had about 3 goes on them lol. but you get the just eventually.

I have never sprayed before!!!

So i very much doubt it woud be a excellent job!!

how much would it cost to get it done professionally?

Im sure if you ask nicely Fm or Middo will do them for you for a decent price.

nah not really mate.

it will work out cheaper if you use aerosols, but you will get a better, more durable finish with a spraygun/compressor.

if youre using spraygun compressor, then id probably get just
half a litre of basecoat,
small can of thinners,
small can of 2k hardener,
small can of laquer.
small tin of 2k primer
generally i think the smallest they sell them is in litre tins, except maybe the primer which ive only ever bought in 5 litre tins.

the basecoat will have a ratio on it and is generally between 1:1 and 1:2 with thinners, so 1/2 litre of basecoat will mix up about a litre, which is plenty.
laquer mixes up with the hardener usually 4:1 or 5:1 with 10% thinners, itll tell you on the can anyway.

if you wanna do it by aerosol, id get
2 cans of colour
2 cans of laquer
2 cans of aerosol cellulose primer

and your sanding paper on top.

As above, halfords do it all, and Fm has done a decent guide which is very very helpful.