ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeaking noise from front

Clio III dCi 106
Hello,

I'm getting a loud squeaking noise coming from the front left only when I turn right fairly sharply (from ~60° turn of the steering wheel). It occurs at all speeds getting more shrill the faster I go.

It isn't absolutely regular. It squeaks more often than not, though. I've noticed that gently applying the brakes mid-corner stops the squeaking and it resumes when I release the brakes.

Recently I've had a new bearing to the wheel and the gaiter was found loose soon after which was immediately repaired. I've asked the garage where I got this done if they could try and sort it and they didn't seem interested. A local Renault garage after a short test drive and look on the ramp couldn't pinpoint it.

Anyone able to offer advice? It's driving me mad and it's a bit embarrassing.

Clio 172 Flamer
I got a similar squeak on mine.

Good luck getting a response :)

The most useful information I have so far is 'it's french what do you expect'

However, I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

I am putting my particular sqeak down to a the front left suspension so I am restoring the whole suspension, a little pricey but I have just bought the car so it needed doing anyway.

TK

I've also got a squeak coming from the front end. I suspect it's the suspension as when I go over speed bumps it's worse.
How much would a fix cost? I guess it's hard unless you know what exactly it is.

Clio 172 Flamer
Ye it is difficult unless you can pin point exactly what it is.

Could be a simple bush, shock etc

I have just gone for a full suspension replacement which cost me around £550-600

I plan to keep it for a good while so willing to put a bit of money into it.

Clio III dCi 106
Hey, cheers for the replies guys. I don't think (I should stress think because I'm no mechanic) mine is suspension related. When the noise is being made it is a very consistent 'screech' I guess - it also increases in frequency/pitch as my speed increases.

The fact that it stops when I apply a little braking makes me think maybe a component is resting on the disk when I turn right to generate the noise but that is just speculation and something the garages can't seem to find.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Have the caliper apart, give it a clean and check it all moves as it should and is seated fine if you suspect brakes. Then if it doesn't go away you can start looking at the suspension. Get the weight off the wheel and inspect the bushes. If there is the ability to apply a little pressure to a bush then try that to see any movement. Bounce the car up and down by hand when on it's wheels and see if it squeaks. Garages aren't interested in squeaks unless they can see something falling off. Just pick one thing at a time. Check it, replace it if necessary and then test it. It can be a very annoying process. My Peugeot squeaked because the pads were dragging on the disc due to no-one cleaning the old crap out the caliper when fitting new pads and the pads would stick on a little.