ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SRP?! EGP?! I'M SO CONFUSED!

B

Bucko

I've always enjoyed washing my car but it's always been just a good wash with some car shampoo, followed by a dry with a chamois leather.

Maybe once a year it gets a bit of T-Cut on the scratches and then an all over polish with something like Auto Glym resin polish and that's it.

Before joing this forum I didn't even know that there was such a thing as 'Detailing', i just assumed all the cars at shows were given a good wash and 'polish'.

Now i'm really interested in spending up to £50 and giving my car the treatment it deserves but reading through the threads on here has only confused me more :S

Can someone please talk to me in laymans terms? Leaving out all the abbrieviations and jargon that i obviously don't understand?

I just want to 'wax' my car and give it a deep shine that water beads off of, anyone fancy helping me?

Any advice appreciated,

Bucko

B

Bucko

Right, i've finally worked out that SRP stands for 'super resin polish' and EGP stands for 'extra gloss protection' - Auto Glym (or AG) products.

So i clean it, dry it, SRP it, 3 or 4 coats of EGP, then wax it yeah?

When would claying come into this process? Do AG do a wax?

Respect to you guys on how much time and effort you spend on making your cars look good!!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd give the Autoglym EGP a miss tbh , especially if you want multiple layers . It just takes too long between layers . Go for the Jeffs acrylic trigger sealant , you can put on mutliple layers leaving only 15 mins between layers .

The Autoglym wax isn't anything to write home about either .If you want something that lasts a long time go for the Collinite insulator wax 845 , last ages and it's probably one of the easiest waxes on and off .

Megane R26
I think EGP is great, but you need 24 hours between layers, and 3 seems to be the best amount.

You don't really need to top with a wax either - its great on its own, especially for the money.

Just be sure to apply a thin, even layer, leave for 45 mins then simply buff off.

It will only bond to SRP though - most of the 'haters' forget this, and have trouble removing it.

106 GTi
The pain of EGP removal has nothing to do with SRP being used first, just means the EGP was applied to thickly. If you want the EGP to get maximum durability it does need to be used over SRP or something like Klasse All in One.

Multiple layers of EGP will get more protection and better looks, I still end up using a wax ontop to as it will add a little something extra to the finish.

To get multiple coats on 24 hours apart and with an hour at least per coat, I would rather do all three layers in an hour with the Jeffs though to.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You don't want to get into detailing! lol. It'll ruin your life.

My advice would be Get the car polished professionally...Not cheap and spend 25£ on a budget wax such as Chemical guys 50:50. works well on Monaco.

SRP is a decent polish, v little cut tho, EGP is a waste of time and like you said you enjoy washin ur car so i wouldn't even bother with a sealant.

'97 mk1 ph2
Woah!! Im with Bucko on this one! Untill I joined this forum I thought Car shampoo and a chamois were sufficient!

Unfortunately however, my current student wage does not allow me to even buy petrol let alone SRP, EGP, AG or any other acronym you can come up with! :p

Nice work though! it all pays off at those shows!

106 GTi
Bottle of Turtle wax Shampoo - fiver, some Super Resin Polish - 4 quid, Bottle of Tyre Dressing - 4 quid and steal some glass cleaner of the old dear was my regime when I was a skint student. Spend 20 quid and you will be sorted for months ...

Still produced good results IMO

astra2.jpg

Golf TDI
iv just started using ag products . used their shampoo , followed by drying it , srp then finished with 1 layer of egp !

my results from my first time ! .....

P6220390.jpg

P6220401.jpg

found this method worked very well . any floors to my routine ?

Shed.
You don't want to get into detailing! lol. It'll ruin your life.

My advice would be Get the car polished professionally...Not cheap and spend 25£ on a budget wax such as Chemical guys 50:50. works well on Monaco.

SRP is a decent polish, v little cut tho, EGP is a waste of time and like you said you enjoy washin ur car so i wouldn't even bother with a sealant.

lol so true.

For 50 bucks id keep the srp, get either a sealant like EGP (srp and egp are super products btw, i still use them on a regular basis) or/and a wax, get yourself 2 buckets, a lambswool washmitt and a good drying towel or 2 and finally a good shampoo like the Zymol Autowash, should be able to pick all that up at halfords. PS. Lose the t-cut, would you get a cloth and rub it in soil, and then rub that said cloth into your paintwork ? well you are doing.

Thats where it starts. I couldnt imagine myself spending £50 of my money on car cleaning products last year, 1 year later - and probably over £1000 later, theres not much i dont have and im looking to buy a pot of wax worth £110. I Alocated myself about £12 to go to halfords with. £25 later i eneded up with a washmitt, NXT gen wash (total shite i wont ever buy the s**t again) and also a bottle of srp and egp. All went from there.

B

Bucko

Well i went to Halfrauds yesterday and spent £30 on a bottle of EGP (Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection for people like me), Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner for my wheels as it's non-acidic, a can of Auto Glym alloy wheel seal spray stuff, a 2nd bucket and a microfibre washmitt.

I've already got SRP (Auto Glymm Super Resin Polish) so my next day off is gonna be used spending some quality time with my car.

Just 2 questions though; Will the engine and machine cleaner be ok for getting the welded on bugs off of the front of my car? And how often should you SRP your car, i don't wanna wear through the paint over the next couple years.

Cheers,

Bucko

106 GTi
AG Engine and Machine cleaner is over kill for bug removal ! IMO, lay a wet towel on them to soften them up and they should just wash off. SRP will take the rest of them off if not.

SRP is quite mild, I tend to polish 2 or 3 times a year max though.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
AG Engine and Machine cleaner is over kill for bug removal ! IMO, lay a wet towel on them to soften them up and they should just wash off. SRP will take the rest of them off if not.

SRP is quite mild, I tend to polish 2 or 3 times a year max though.

Tbh...Shoudn't even need that...I get most the bugs off with my hands...Mingin! but easier.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Bottle of Turtle wax Shampoo - fiver, some Super Resin Polish - 4 quid, Bottle of Tyre Dressing - 4 quid and steal some glass cleaner of the old dear was my regime when I was a skint student. Spend 20 quid and you will be sorted for months ...

Still produced good results IMO

astra2.jpg

any more pics??! i love a bit of old school!

Shed.
i seriously need to get mine lowered, if i like collinite ill not bother with BOS and just get the stupid car decked. I need to give my car a good hard clean anyways soon i might start it tomorrow.

'97 mk1 ph2
i love the old shape astras! gettin quite rare these days, i havnt seen one is years!

yours looked nice though!

Shed.
Ive bagged myself an 03 plate astra to detail (paintwork only no interior) and im looking forward to doing a write up as its quite badly swirled. Belongs top a good friend and i owe him many favours. nice colour too, dark blue metallic and from a quick look under the halogen tonight the flake looks really nice. Its just been masked by a lot fo swirls. Couple of rds to deal with though :(

B

Bucko

Thanks for the help guys, i'm sure i can work anything else out from searching other posts.

It's raining down here now so i'll have to wait until next week to make a start.

Bucko