ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SSD over a normal HD in a MBP. Can someone explain why they are better?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with fresh installs, I'd also wait for mountain lion so you have a fresh install of that.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Mine has arrived. Just doing one last backup now. I'm going down the fresh install route as well. Now, where's my ESD strap...

LY 182
This thread has got me wanting to throw an SSD in mine now too.

This will come across stupid I'm sure, but is the only difference between a 120GB SSD and a 250GB one the capacity? Performance wise they'd be largely the same? I'm only using around ~70GB of my hard drive so figured I could probably get away with a smaller sized SSD.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember the technical reason off the top of my head but a larger SSD will perform better than a smaller one of the same model. However I think it's still a pretty minor difference and pretty much any ssd will be a huge performance boost.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
My MBP is seriously quick now. Boots in about 15-20 secs, applications load pretty much instantly and shut-down takes around 3 seconds. Totally worth it IMO.

6/468 17poo
I have a late 2008 Mac (no pro) but its an alloy body - one of the first i think, can I still replace the HDD with an SSD? was looking at the 250gb ones, whats the best OCZ, samsung or the crucial?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yup, should be no problem. Might be the slower SATA.

does it have the removable panel?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Well, ordered a 256gb ssd and 8gb of ram for my 2009 13 inch mbp.

Having an apple date with Tom to install it all. Boom!

TTRS & V50
Didn't even realise this is possible.

After 3 years my MBP 2.66 is lacking abit and it get's heavy usage in Creative Suite plus i'll be getting a thunderbolt come christmas so definitely need to give it a new lease of life.

256 SSD and 8gb ram the way to go ? It's currently 4gb ( 2 x gb ) ram and 300 gb HD.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Only ordered late Thursday night, free delivery.

86AB5D59-5878-4B99-BA63-E40C15B94A1A-7764-00000855BCFAA060.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Only downfall off SSD drives is the lack of abilityt o wipe them properly. Unlike HDD drives which can be simply overwritten, SSD drives store and wrtie data using different algorithms which makes data wiping very troublesome. Other than that, they are brilliant! Obviously get rid of the drop/knock factor as well as being super fast :)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Well Tom came over to mine today and fitted 8gb of ram and sorted out the SSD install and cloning of the old HDD.

Took 2 hours to clone so we popped out for a subway.

On return Tom optimised a few odds and sods with reseting the pram (wtf never heard of that and a few other things too) and it now flies it is stupid quick.

iphoto opens instantly.

It is like a new laptop.

My mind is blown.

Vid of comparison boot up to follow.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
get yourself carbon copy cloner app. It is free to do the clone.

Buy some ram and an SSD with the correct cable to do the clone.

Do it.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Mine on the left. Tom's on the right.

identical spec MBP apart from the SSD.

I have OSX 10.7 and Tom has Lion or whatever the latest OSX is.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Incredible.

Contemplating a new iMac once released.

Any idea how much the fusion drive is likely to cost over the 1TB HDD?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Shouldn't be horrendous as they've gone low capacity for the SSD.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Is mind blowing.

Just using it for iTunes iPhoto word safari etc it is just so quick. Srs best thing I have ever done computer wise.

Hats off to Tom for the help!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Shouldn't be horrendous as they've gone low capacity for the SSD.

Quality.

I heard that the ram isn't easily upgradable on the 21.5inch. Any truth in this?

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is mind blowing.

Just using it for iTunes iPhoto word safari etc it is just so quick. Srs best thing I have ever done computer wise.

Hats off to Tom for the help!

SSD is definitely the way forward.

Glad you're happy with it :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Quality.

I heard that the ram isn't easily upgradable on the 21.5inch. Any truth in this?

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

On the new ones? Should be impossible if its anything like the rest of the new range.
You'll need to spec the maximum at POS

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
On the new ones? Should be impossible if its anything like the rest of the new range.
You'll need to spec the maximum at POS

Yeah, I heard it was possible to swap out the ram on the 27inch but not the 21.5inch.

I have no idea how accurate the above is.

Wasn't the ram upgradable on both previous models?