ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit confused about SSD in my MacBook Pro

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Right, my Mac is a mid-2009 MacBook Pro with 2.26 GHz Core Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM and a 160 gig HDD. I use it for a lot of illustrator, indesign, photoshop and video editing work. Whilst it works OK, it does sometimes lag quite badly and isn't perfect. As I can't really afford to go out and buy a brand new top-spec Mac, I've been looking at ways of improving what I've got.

I've already decided on more RAM - if I go 8 GB, obviously it will be better than the 2 I've got at the minute, but is it worth it over 4? Price difference isn't huge so tempted by 8 to be honest.

I'm also interested in putting in a SSD drive. In two/three years I've only filled my drive up with 80GB worth of stuff, so think I can get away with a 256GB, or even 128GB as I'll be storing all non-essential things like photos etc. on an external. However, the other option is to stick a regular HDD into the opitcal slot and ditch the CD/DVD drive.

I have a few things I'm not sure on - if I were to go with just one SSD, what's the situation with this TRIM support I'm hearing a lot about? I know it's a necessary process to keep the drive running well and prolong live, but I hear OS X doesn't support TRIM for non-Apple SSDs and there's a lot of gray-area hacks around, but then some people say new SSDs have built in 'Garbage Collection' which makes TRIM unecessary, particularly on Macs.

Also, if I were to run two drives, how easy is it to put the OS and Applications on the SSD and point everything else to the other drive? Also how easy is it to fit all of this!?

I know some of these issues have been covered before, but I've not found definitive answers for anything yet! Cheers guys for any help.

Using the programs you do then 8gb will be well worth it.

Open Activity Monitor and select System Memory and look what Page Outs it at?

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Page Outs is at 1.80 GB...well, I'd already decided on more RAM anyway. ;)