ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stalling on full lock at idle

Evo 8 MR
Right I've got myself a new issue with the cup, basically today I was parking into a bay and I was going approximately 5-10mph, saw a space so I slowed down, dipped the clutch then applied the steering full lock to the left and it immediately cut out.

At the time I didn't think anything of it, other than looking like a t**t as there was people watching but anyway on the way home as I was coming up the drive I decided to put it to the test, I was going up the drive slowly, this time in gear with very little throttle, moved the steering full lock to the right and hey presto, it cutout.

I think I've read something about this before, I've done a search but can't find anything relating to this. I guessed straight away it could be the battery on it's way out but it is fairly new (less than 6 months old) and the trip computer is still holding it's memory so I doubt it can be that. I've tried to check the power steering fluid but I can't see into it to check the level and I can't seem to get the cap off, I didn't want to force it in case it spewed over, I'll look properly when the engine is cold tomorrow but it is fairly loose, there's a lot of play in it, I shook it but couldn't seem to feel anything inside.

The car has been through a full service when I bought it in February this year and there isn't any leakages. I'm not sure what else it could be, anyone help?

Jap Box
Remember a thread about this from someone else.

I remember they said the RAC guy found out it was a loose earth connection that was the cause, sounds like a simple fix if it can be found.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Only help I can give is that in my steering fluid res. when I take the cap off I can see fluid about half way up the neck. Can't see anything unless I take the cap off. This will show what level it should be at least.

Evo 8 MR
I've checked the fluid, it bloody stinks lol, it's fine though.

Only other thing it could be is the power steering relay, would it be worth replacing it to rule it out?

Looking for 182
I used to get this when my power steering pump was on the way out. It was accompanied by a very annoying whining noise when turning the wheel.

When the PAS pump was replaced the engine cutting out stopped.

Good excuse to lose the power steering Steve? Less weight and better feel through the steering wheel? It'll be a bugger when parking up though.

Edit: Scratch what I said, cos you need a manual rack to do that. :eek:

Looking for 182
Just what I wanted to hear. :dapprove:

How much is a new PAS pump?

Sorry for the late reply. My PAS pump was around £150 I think, but the labour cost a fair amount due to its location, so cost nearer £400 in total. Although I think I was ripped off a bit.

Well worth taking it to a garage though to check just in case.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
the switch is there to up the rpm slightly when turning, even more so on lock as the pump is under more load, not many people no this.

M135i
u fixed it mate ? i had a problem with my steering cutting out, ended up being a earth that came loose and was gettin knocked when i turned the wheel

Clio 182
Any fixes yet?
This is driving me mad stalling sideways in the road when trying to park onto driveways! As soon as i get the wheel near lock when stationary it dies on me! :boring:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
is it not the pressure switch that rasies the revs as you apply more lock

needs pressure switch.

someone agreed with me

Any fixes yet?
This is driving me mad stalling sideways in the road when trying to park onto driveways! As soon as i get the wheel near lock when stationary it dies on me! :boring:

Have you replaced the switch dude ? Surely that's the cheapest option to start with, assuming your fluid is all present and correct?

Clio 182
No but i will now consider it, Is it easy to replace?
The problem is getting worse. To start with it cut out on full lock every now and then, Then on every full lock and now it does it on just over 1 turn!
Also what companies are best for parts like this? Does euro car parts cover this kind of thing?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I got mine from GSF after shopping around. 21 mm ring spanner required, very easy and don't overtighten it. Remove fuel rail guard first - requires deep sockets, 10 mm and 13mm.

275 Trophy
Mine did this often when the timing was out. Never done it even once since Birchdown did the belts - not had a new battery, fluid or pressure switch fitted, for the record.

Lionel Richie
Sorry for the late reply. My PAS pump was around £150 I think, but the labour cost a fair amount due to its location, so cost nearer £400 in total. Although I think I was ripped off a bit.

Well worth taking it to a garage though to check just in case.

that's not a bad price if it included a new aux kit