ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard head unit but upgrading speakers

2.0 16v 172 mk2
I am the proud owner of a mk 2 172 and am just wondering can I put upgraded speakers in but leave the standard head unit to power them???? I don't really play my music loud only around 20 on the volume no higher so not to boom myself to death lol if I have to upgrade what head unit is best and what speakers too should be a great help.......and have noticed that putting a sub in the boot could restrict the use of the spare wheel and adds weight,I am a great fan of standard yeah I know boring but its what I like he he lol any help would be great obviously changing the speakers is ok as no one can see what you've done :)

1.2 16v
Yeah they should just go straight in, make sure you get the right size speakers for your door, they should go straight in

Clio Trophy
Should be safe with a pioneer HU and speakers, after you said you dont want to boom your self to death, im not sure y you would be thinking about getting a sub :S

and uprated speakers will be a bit weak on a standard HU

2.0 16v 172 mk2
Will I need an amp to power the speakers or just a powerful head unit and I do like a little boom just not so much that my teeth fall out lol saw on here that you can get speakers that are subs or have more base???? Also not really a great fan of 6x9's cos of cutting the parcel shelf is there a way round this?? Cheers for the help

Clio Trophy
a decent pair of comps should provide all the sound you need with a bit of bang from the bass, an amp would help, but if you get a decent HU you could survive without one

Polo + Micra
a ktp-445u should work with the standard head unit and then you could keep it and then upgrade the speakers

2.0 16v 172 mk2
a decent pair of comps should provide all the sound you need with a bit of bang from the bass, an amp would help, but if you get a decent HU you could survive without one

Cheers for the help dude,do you have any head units you would recommend that will do the job???? Looking for iPhone compatible and pref with an orange glow to go with the climate control colour (orange)

2.0 16v 172 mk2
Have you seen the price of it.....£150 pounds plus getting it fitted bloody hell think its cheaper to buy a new head unit lol cheers though

Twingo Dynamique
i paid £200 for my HU... then a total of £50 for my subs with wiring, now loooking for replacements for the front doors so i can have better sound in the front, and move the old front ones to the rear....

2.0 16v 172 mk2
i paid £200 for my HU... then a total of £50 for my subs with wiring, now loooking for replacements for the front doors so i can have better sound in the front, and move the old front ones to the rear....

it seems that a new head unit is the way to go,do your subs stop you getting to your spare wheel?? When you say rear do you mean near the parcel shelf?? Cos I don't have any back there

Twingo Dynamique
Yeah i have twin 12s which remove all my boot space, but i like my bass. By rear i mean putting speakers into the rear quarter panel where there are meant to be some. My car doesn't have any :/

2.0 16v 172 mk2
Yeah i have twin 12s which remove all my boot space, but i like my bass. By rear i mean putting speakers into the rear quarter panel where there are meant to be some. My car doesn't have any :/

No I've got those speakers in the quarter panel but none next to the parcel shelf not to sure if its worth getting some when I change the others???? Is it easy to change the tweeters?? Have heard that you need to take the dash off

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
you went from "i want it all standard an nothing to fancy"...to wanting to change your Hu and adding more speakers......

stick with your original plan and you'll be fine, I think pioneer make a drop in set of speakers, should do you right.

2.0 16v 172 mk2
you went from "i want it all standard an nothing to fancy"...to wanting to change your Hu and adding more speakers......

stick with your original plan and you'll be fine, I think pioneer make a drop in set of speakers, should do you right.

With so many different ideas on what is best am finding it harder and harder to stick with my standard plan.....will take a look at pioneer speakers just hoping the standard unit will be able to power them properly cheers for your advice :)