ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard vs. V6 induction set up (Thoughts & Figures *next week*)

200 Gordini
I recently sold my V6 induction set up as I was planning on selling my car, I replaced it with the standard airbox and induction bend and thought I'd share my opinions.

DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF1068.jpg

First things I noticed when I went back to standard was the car felt smoother lower in the revs but didn't pull as hard afterwards. A couple of people have said to me that they feel they have lost a little bit of low down torque with their V6 box, I definitely noticed this but once it hits around 3k the V6 airbox is more eager than standard. I'm guessing this is due to the size of the V6 airboxes 100mm side opening, it must take a bit more time to get some pressure in there.

I'm not getting shoved in my seat as much when changing gear at high revs with the standard set up. The V6 set up definitely excelled in this area.

The V6 box does make a nice noise with a deep tone but I haven't missed it since swapping back. I didn't notice how loud it actually was until I was on the motorway on route to TRAX this morning, I can barely hear the standard box even with the top CAF removed.

Overall the V6 set up is more 'raw', yes its not as responsive if you try flooring it from 2k in 3rd but once the revs start moving they pick up more urgently. I think a good compromise would be to have the standard airbox with a 70mm silicone bend and only the bottom CAF in place.

Next weekend me and my mate (Tomo182 off here) who has the 'JMS induction kit' with the race filter are going to meet up and do some power runs with my RS Tuner.

I'll do 3 back to back runs with each set up on my car:
- Standard airbox set up
- V6 induction set up with 'race' filter
- Standard airbox with 70mm induction bend (just because I am curious)

I'll update this post with some graphs, either way it will only be miniscule but whichever I see performs best will be put on my car. Now I'll be keeping the car a bit longer I do regret selling the V6 set up but we'll see if the figures back up my thoughts.

Last edited:
  None
Good comparison, i recently put a pipercross filter in my 182 but to be fair i don't know if it made a difference on it's own as i had a yozza exhaust fitted and a remap within the space of two days but i did notice that removing the top caf did give the engine much more of a raw sound as it bypassed the acoustic valve, it felt more responsive but this may have just been a placebo brought on by the increase in noise .

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Nice write up Curley. Will be RR mine shortly and was weighing up comparing either this or the maps. Will post up the graphs if its the airboxes I swap out.

Good thread. Will be interesting to see the graph results of comparing the Standard airbox set up, the V6 induction set up with 'race' filter and the Standard airbox with 70mm induction bend.

200 Gordini
Cheers people, first thing people ask is what is the difference so thought this might help a few people out.

is the v6 box the same bar the inside width to te ph1? as it looks similar?

The only difference is the intake opening, the V6 has a single 100mm while the ph1 has two 60mm (?) openings.

172 ph1
would this therefore make the ph1 airbox better as it allows more air through or not? what are these panel filters like for the ph1 do they actually do anything?

A dieppe product
I have done something like that with my rstuner,and rstuner said that with v6 airbox I have lost about 1kw and 10nm

200 Gordini
would this therefore make the ph1 airbox better as it allows more air through or not? what are these panel filters like for the ph1 do they actually do anything?

In theory i'd say yes but I do not know.. Jimbo-Clio (Who bought my V6 set up) had the ph1 set up before but said the V6 was better.

I have done something like that with my rstuner,and rstuner said that with v6 airbox I have lost about 1kw and 10nm

Thanks for that, do you have graphs for both? Did you gain anything mid range?

200 Gordini
Totally contradicts Curley's POV

Certainly does, We'll have to see what happens on my power runs as it may differ from car to car. I'm glad to see his and anyone elses comparisons though.

Vivelesport - what filter and bend did you have or was it the JMS set up?

Focus RS + S3
any updates on this ? as ive seen a few threads lately saying they prefer the standard airbox, would be nice to compare :)

200 Gordini
Not as of yet, we have not been free at the same time. My car will be going in under 2 weeks so expect results before then :D

ClioSport 172 Cup
I ran v6 airbox and original squarebox both with ITG elements on RS Tuner + both had CAFS.
V6 Airbox lost bhp and torque over the original setup. The square element works better on these engines as it has more surface area directly in contact with the direction of airflow(compared to the cylindrical type which has good surface area but is restricted by its shape), there is a reason Renault changed the filter design on the ph2 and kept it on the 182, it flows better!

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Yeah torque numbers are strange. :S Anyway there is noticeable (positive) difference with V6 airbox. I was surprised that it really helps.

Clio 182
are all these people saying they lost or gained bhp using the rs tuner as there guide for power output?
Lol nice one. No, i had my car on chasis dyno. I don't think RStuner is good enough to show 3hp difference. It is good tool but not for small diferences.