ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Started My 1.8 turbo!!!

My engine is all in now, started that bad boy up yesterday. Ticking over well fast but sounds sweet. I should start coming on some of these meets very very soon!

Its actually been off of the road now for 18 months! but most of that was due to body shops letting me down. Cant wait to drive it. I am pleased it all sounds good though. Hydrolic lifters making a bit of a noise, but that will stop once the oil gets round. I gave up late last nite, to cold and dark! Will get it finished next Saturday I hope. Ticks over far to fast at the moment, 4,000rpm. Got to find out why before I go any further.

I promise I will do when i have it all looking neat when it is all back together this weekend. If it doesnt snow on me that is!

No, I had a think about it last night. I have decided that it is the boost guage hose on the inlet manifold that is not connected.

I have spent £6,500 on parts, roughly,

It is a 1.8 16v F7P

what management is it running on?

i had this problem when i used an old spec chip in a new spec ecu, car used to idle at around 4000rpm. Was only a williams not a turbo, but same symptoms.

a missing boost gauge pipe wouldnt cause it to idle at 4k. are you using a air flow meter or map sensor? with an air flow meter and an air leak itll run really rough on idle (not fast) due to it being lean.i had this on my volvo turbo swap when i first started that up. sounds daft but check the obvious like the throttle plate is closed and things. itll turn out to be something simple that maybe you havent thought about.

talking of Map sensors, is it boost aware?

Boost gauge hose mission on the inlet side would lead to a boost leak and large amounts of air whistling out that hole.

I havent done any thing with the management yet, I need to run the engine in on standard injectors and ecu. I will probably use amn Emeralled ECU or maybe even Cossie management, But that invloves a TDC sensor on the Crank pulley to be fabricated. The map sensor is still a 1 bar map sensor, obviously this will have to be changed to a 2.5 or a 3 bar map sensor, but it wont need it yet, as I will be driving it off of boost whilst it is running in for atlet 1000 miles

I am not positive what is causing the engine to idle that high, Do you think the fact that I have had the inlet manifold ported at the throttle body end loads, would make a huge difference to the idleing speed? I am sure the fact that I have left the nipple for the boost guage off must not help matters.

172 Cup

that all sounds good but 6.5k on parts!! bbs conversion would of been the way to go and saved you a lot of hassel!

Paul

It would be like Ben R asking somebody else to port his own head for him. I have the know how to do it myself, so I couldnt bring myself to pay anyone else to do it. At least I can spend the money I would have paid BB all on parts. See below;

The internals consist of JE forged Low comp pistons. 8.5:1 comp ratio, Arrow percission Billet "H" Section rods, Knifedged crank, Lightened and balanced crank and flywheel, New rings, mains, big ends, JE Pins and clips, Kevlar 1.6mm head gasget, Ported head and inlet manifold, gasflowed ports, uprated valve springs, multiangle valve seats, standard cams on vernier pulleys, BB tuning exhaust manifold, (The same as fastchips one by the look of it)Garret T25 hybrid turbo, stainless pipe work and Pace front mounted intercooler, (Fabricated by Prism motorsport) Stainless exhaust down pipe and decat, K tec racing rear section (K8 Pipe), Pipercross airfilter, oil seperator tank with K&N breather, Valeo group N clutch, competion group N cambelt, dump valve. and new pumps and tensioners etc.

The one let down at the moment is my standard box, but I will replace that with a williams box if I blow mine up straight away.

172 Cup

fair play then mate it looks like you have got quite a lot for your money then mate!!

good luck with it all and look forward to seeing the finished product.

Paul

BMW 320d Sport

Good on you, it must be good to see it come together...and like you say, if you can do it yourself, why pay anyone else to do it - even if it does end up costing you almost the same! One thing though - surely the standard 1 bar MAP sensor will be very touch and go? A T25 will blow 10-12psi steady and rock solid, so then on top of your atmospheric pressure (which I assume would be a little down on the open air pressure because of inlet restrictions etc) youre gonna be boosting way over what the MAP sensor will read as soon as the turbo starts winding up? Leading to say 5-10 pounds of boost that will go unfuelled?

Sure Ive missed something here though as Im not the worlds expert on these things!

Im sure the BB conversion is about the same as I have spent. I did drive the old girl on Sunday. The over revving on tick over was due to a faulty solenoid on the inlet manifold. I was stuck wide open. It drove lovely, all of the hydrolic lifter noises have gone. I am so please with it. A really good feeling of satidfaction, since I did it all my self. i have built a ew two stroke engines before, but nothing of this scale, so I am so pleased.

I have a couple of little problems with it but nothing that I cant sort out next weekend. My car is nearly, nearly, nearly, finished. Just want to use it now. Spent so much money and over 18 months doing it. I havent enjoyed the bloody thing yet. Lokks like it about time I became a member!

No, I am not running any boost at the moment. i want to run it all in first. I will go for a new map sensor and amn Emeralled ECU probably after 1000 - 1500 miles. It rns fine on the standard ecu and injectors below 3000 rpm, which is all I need whilst running it in.

Its always too dark when I get home, I will get some on the weekend. It is all looking very neat now, and the engine bay has been sprayed the same colour as the car, so it looks very professional, if I do say so myself!

Yer I live in Chelmsford. I am going away on my Hols on Saturday, but you are welcome to come and have a look after work during the week. I will have to go to a few meets anyway.

172 Cup

im a bit far away really im in bedford. will try and sort someing ut whe the evenings get a bit lighter. hope the rest of it goes well mate

Paul