ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor issue! Please help

Clio 57 1.2 TCE
Hi,
Just had my starter motor replaced with a second hand one from the same model. It work perfect for the first 2 days but has just stopped all together.

All the electric come on but I only get a slight click when trying to start the car.

Any ideas? I'm hoping this is a simple thing to fix.

Thanks

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
One click... Battery ok?

The starter throws the cog into the flywheel and then give it the beans, if your getting a click, it's either a flat battery, or the cogs firing in, but not turning..

Faulty starter?

Check the wires, whack it with a bar.. Its second hand, it happens..

Clio 57 1.2 TCE
Yeah the battery all good as far as I know... The electrics/lights all come on etc.

I've rolled it to get it going in 2nd and had no issues, so it's must be starter related.

Clio 57 1.2 TCE
The starter came of a written off model and the damage was on the rear, so I didn't think it would effect the starter.

Just seems strange that it worked perfectly for 48 hrs, then just stopped.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Lights will nearly always come on with a flat/low battery, but go when you turn the key.. Having power is one thing, having enough to turn an engine is another..

Never rule it out until your sure.. Jump leads sure

Clio 57 1.2 TCE
Whats the best way to check the battery power?

Id rather check it before replacing... Just incase its ok

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
slap some jump leads on to find out..

A multi meter will tell you it has 12v, turn the engine with them still on for a voltage drop reading.. A dead battery will pull it below 10, where you dont really want much of a drop at all from the 12v

Renault Clio mk2
Mine used to do this, I changed the starter to a 2nd hand one and it done this a few times. I just removed the connector on the front of the start cleaned it up and pushed it back on fully and its started ever since :)