ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting out in flash photography

koi

Audi S1
As nice as it is I don't really have the need or cash for the Bowens setup I've been using at the college but would like to start doing some flash photography. Ordered the Speedlite 430ex II to get me started for now and on the lookout for some wireless triggers to go with it, any recommendations?

Also came across these attachments,

prokit%20set.jpg

http://www.speedlightprokit.co.uk/speedlite.html

Anyone on here use anything similar? Looks a good idea but does it work with the size and power of the speedlites?

as light modifiers go they modify the light emited by the flash but with a speelite you have a limited beam width. you can attach a brolly to the flash and have it on a stand but you need to be able to fire the flash remotely.

what kind of use do you envisage for the flash - people, cars, pets, still life?

koi

Audi S1
Yeah wasn't sure with the flash being small and low powered if it would kick out enough light.

Have you tried the triggers you can get on ebay?

Will mainly be using it for portraits and stills.

Cupra
I have a set of blazzeo triggers off eBay. They cost peanuts and have never skipped a beat.

Have a google for DIY beauty dish. They are cheap and simple to make but give great results. I bought a huge plant pot yesterday to give it a try myself.

Bus w**ker
I had some of the eBay triggers. Worked flawlessly, until I lent them to someone and they never returned. :rolleyes:

I'd love pocket wizards but can't justify the expense atm, as I rarely use flash anyway, so I'll just order another pikie set and do the range extension hack.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Thought i'd do a quick search before i asked on here, but i'm still a little stuck.

Basically after a remote flash trigger. I have a canon 1000 and a D728 flash (cheap ebay thing). I have seen the cables which i'm not too keen on and have seen various triggers on ebay etc but i'm not too sure on what to go for. They range from about £15 to £50 but i'm not sure on the difference.

I just want one for putting my flash a bit of distance from me which that will work fine.

Anyone got any decent cheap units that you could recomend?

Cheers

Looking for 182
As nice as it is I don't really have the need or cash for the Bowens setup I've been using at the college but would like to start doing some flash photography. Ordered the Speedlite 430ex II to get me started for now and on the lookout for some wireless triggers to go with it, any recommendations?

Also came across these attachments,

prokit%20set.jpg

http://www.speedlightprokit.co.uk/speedlite.html

Anyone on here use anything similar? Looks a good idea but does it work with the size and power of the speedlites?

I bought the speedlight pro kit when I first got into flash photography, I used it a few times but haven't ever used it again. No real reason other than I just never really learnt to use it properly and I just have't ever needed it for the type of shots I've learnt to enjoy doing, got some shots with the big grid though when I first got it:

Text is because it was part of a photo a day project
4018107088_149d728e59_b.jpg

And another, just messing around when I first got it
3972950098_ca82d43b82_b.jpg

In my opinion, get yourself a shoot through/reflective umbrella and a light stand to with your flash and you'll be laughing.

I took these after first getting into off camera lighting. 430EX through a shoot through umbrella, a great starting point and plenty for you to learn all about off camera lighting :)

4098813781_726e23baa7_b.jpg

4087568980_ed635bcb8c_b.jpg

Suzuki Ignis
For anyone looking to get wireless flash triggers, sign up to talk photography and search for the user 'flashinthepan' and look for his strobist kit thread. He sells decent triggers/receiver kits cheaper than ebay and usually next day delivery so you dont have to wait 3 weeks for it to come from Hong Kong.

Suzuki Ignis
Yeah there the ones he sells. Only had mine about about a week but they are so much better than the others I had, that were known as decent ones about a year ago.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
This could take some time to get them from "flashinthepan" now as talk photography are not taking new members at the moment and before you can order from him, you now need 100 posts.

Does anyone know of anywhere else i could get a set of triggers pretty cheap?

Cheers

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
For anyone looking to get wireless flash triggers, sign up to talk photography and search for the user 'flashinthepan' and look for his strobist kit thread. He sells decent triggers/receiver kits cheaper than ebay and usually next day delivery so you dont have to wait 3 weeks for it to come from Hong Kong.

flashinthepan doesnt exist on TP

EDIT: Found him, actual name is 'Flash In The Pan' if anyone else if bothered.

Last edited: