ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems

Octavia VRS LE
Yes i know its really cold and it has strain on the engine, but when it snows for some reason even if i put a blanket over the engine to stop it from frosting over it will not tick over, ive changed the battery as it was on its last legs, had started motor changed just under 2 years ago and also had alternator changed too. Some mornings it will start fine and others i have to jump start it. Once its started thou i can turn it off and it will start by its self.... very confused need some help!!!

Octavia VRS LE
took it back to where i got the battery from, had it tested and it was dead. checked alternator was fine so replaced the battery there and then. all running fine now. lets hope it stays that way.

thanks for the suggestions thou.

valver & 2002 mk2
To maybe help anyone else experiencing starting problems just now, mine was almost starting then going silent. It jump started the other day and idled pretty lumpy - as it seemed to up until it eventually wouldn't start the other day. Changed the battery first today, and same deal - so i let the fuel pump prime then sit for a few seconds and it turned over first turn of the key. Turned it back off after a minute or two and turned the ignition on for a few seconds and let the flurry of clicks and 'vrrrs' from the engine bay sort themselves out and then cranked. Viola, coil light now gone.

Hope that helps someone else - i remembered a road side mechanic telling me to let the fuel pump prime properly after having starting problems and although it made s**t all difference to the problem i was having then with that car, it helped now! Alas!

Octavia VRS LE
Right well i had same problem today again, after a new battery was fitted so something must be draining the battery, only this time the battery is completley dead and i cant get into the car as the passenger door lock just want open. any ideass?

Octavia VRS LE
already been taken out, having an alternator fitted as im writing this. hopefully sort it. apparently it was running at 12 amps but should be at 14.... didnt think 2 amps would make much difference but lets hope it bloody works. if not im gunna have to check the electrics..

tiTTy & SV650
amps or volts? Battery charges at about 14v but will be down around 12v when the engine (alternator) isn't running.

Octavia VRS LE
alternator was running at 13, had new one so now at 14.5 but still doesnt start.... any other ideas.?