ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Static IP for Broadband?

dk

911 GTS Cab
can anyone tell me any real uses for having a static IP with my broadband please?

I have o2 Pro and you get one free with that, should i be creaming my pants that i can get this or is it just a nice to have?

thanks in advance.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Setting up things like Exchange at home, easier to set up RDP to home and Slingbox and s**t, yo.

Nissan 350z
If you have a fixed IP you can access your home PC from anywhere via RDP.

I.E. you can be in spain and as long as your PC has been setup correctly you will be able to access it from any internet cafe etc.

I use mine for connecting to my PC from work and being able to have unfiltered internet browsing instead of using works nazi proxy :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmm, any benefits for gaming?

the rdp would be nice to make sure my downloads had finished and putting the laptop into hybernate to save power etc.

thanks

Only benefit for gaming is if you host a server it will always be the same IP. Not many people need a static IP these days, easily get round it with dynamic dns.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
How do you configure your router etc so you connect to your home PCs etc from the Internet? I've never understood or done it, but would like to. I'm quite happy configuring the router, just need to know what to configure (ports, port forwarding, how you know which address to use?) Do I HAVE to have a static IP address from my ISP (I don't currently)

Better than yours. C*nt.
You could also set up the s**t for WOL traffic so you can power up and power off your computer on demand...

How do you configure your router etc so you connect to your home PCs etc from the Internet? I've never understood or done it, but would like to. I'm quite happy configuring the router, just need to know what to configure (ports, port forwarding, how you know which address to use?) Do I HAVE to have a static IP address from my ISP (I don't currently)

http://www.portforward.com/

Should tell you how to forward ports for RDP for your router.

http://www.dyndns.com/

If your router supports it you can configure a DNS name to connect to, so instead of typing an IP to connect, (which could change) you type in name.dyndns.com

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

As said, first you'd setup something like dyndns on your router which means even with a dynamic IP you can tie a dns entry to the router (in simple terms!).

Then you just need to forward the rdp port on the router to your pcs lan ip.

We got 2 static ips when we signed up for our adsl about 7 years ago, it was a no charge option back then so thought why not go for 2 lol, could have had up to 4 I think it was. I've not used the second one for anything yet but thinking I could do something clever with it around secure remote/vpn access.