ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stav's 106 Rallye

This is my S1 Rallye my dad and myself bought in August. It's a pre done track car that we plan to maintain and generally rag around track.

We have plenty planned for her, but here is how she was when we bought her.

Engine
106 GTI engine
1.3 box with Quaiffe LSD
Raceland induction kit
Mocal catch tank
Uprated engine mounts
3" Magnex Pugsport exhaust
GMC quick shift

Suspension and Brakes
Hi-spec 4 pots
8 Speedline Chrono's
Bilstein dampers
180lbs springs
23mm master cylinder
brake bias valve
full bush kit for the whole car
wheel stud conversion

Interior
Complete strip
Sparco Evo seats
Sparco wheel
Willans 5 point harnesses

DSC_0644-1.gif

So far we have managed one trackday in her, this was Marham in October. We had a great time, the car was awesome, much faster than my Clio in the corners, but the 1.3 box let her down on the 1 1/2mile straight.

Her next outing will be the 'ring in July, and I have to say I am rather looking forward to taking her there, maybe not so much the drive there, but definately looking forward to lapping in it.

So, the project thread, well we have some plans for her. No performance mods as yet, as the car is set up a treat for us, but we do have plans for maintenance and tarting her up a bit.

So, first job for us was to sort the leaking radiator, did a little shopping and got one of these

044.jpg

Whilst at a scrap yard, my little brother found this gem hidden away

048.jpg

£35 you say, bargain!!

That's getting wrapped and fitted this weekend.

Now we also want to make the car look as original as possible, both my dad and I love the look of the old Rallye's, so a sticker kit is on the list of things the buy. In the meanwhile, we found a powdercoating place and....

041.jpg

Just need some matching centre caps and they will be sweet.

They also got treated to some nice rubber ready for Germany.

050.jpg

That is all we have done so far. We do have a list of jobs that need doing, and are slowly getting through them, it's money and time we don't seem to have enough of though
e5007310.gif

Our main direction for the car is mainly maintenance, that and getting out and using the damn thing.

We have a few more bits on order, so more updates soon.

Cheers for reading.

Hahaha no, the only straight where it tops out is Marham, there isn't a straight as long as that anywhere else, so not too worried.

E36 328
Lol worth a try!

Do you have any videos of it going? Particularly acceleration. Mate has a vts and is dyyyying for a rallye box :)

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Quick little cars.

Mate from work use to Rally his and that use to fly.

Just before he sold it, he had a 1.4xsi lump to go in to it.
Spent about £3.5k on a rebuild too produce around 145bhp.

I was behind one on the ring road by me to other day. It had a lot work done to it and was stripped, but I flat out just to stay with it.

Is it Ed Cross's old one?

Quite famous on SSC and the likes IIRC.

It was indeed Ed's, he did a good job on her, we just plan to maintain her and make her look a little more standard, with Rallye graphics etc.

Lol worth a try!

Do you have any videos of it going? Particularly acceleration. Mate has a vts and is dyyyying for a rallye box :)

The acceleration is great, it tops out at 120-125 but it gets there quicker than my 182. The box is perfect for track days as you don't need top end speed just the acceleration.

No vids as yet, but once the new alternator, radiator and 4-2-1 manifold has been fitted I shall get some up.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Ive seen this thing go from when Ed had it, a very quick and capable car,

you will be hard pushed to improve the set up that car already has, the next step I'd say would be a nice set of jenvey's and some newman ph4 cams

TrackCar & F30 330d
What a beast!!

I couldnt belive it when chris said about finding that Mani!!! A-mazing price.

Wheels look really good too, the finish is really good for the price isnt it.

Not long now untill we go to the NURBURGRING!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ive seen this thing go from when Ed had it, a very quick and capable car,

you will be hard pushed to improve the set up that car already has, the next step I'd say would be a nice set of jenvey's and some newman ph4 cams

I had a lap in it round the 'ring last year, in fairness I think it might be a while before it goes round there quite as quick as he did.

We don't really have any plans to improve the setup as yet, we just want to make it a good example and get plenty of use. Ed did do rather a good job on her.

What a beast!!

I couldnt belive it when chris said about finding that Mani!!! A-mazing price.

Wheels look really good too, the finish is really good for the price isnt it.

Not long now untill we go to the NURBURGRING!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The mani was a steel, still makes me giggle now.

Wheels are awesome dude, especially for the price.

How is yours running now dude? Is she going to be ready for the 'ring??

She better be, I need a lap in her!!! ;)

TrackCar & F30 330d
The mani was a steel, still makes me giggle now.

Wheels are awesome dude, especially for the price.

How is yours running now dude? Is she going to be ready for the 'ring??

She better be, I need a lap in her!!! ;)

Yeah mine will be ready for the ring, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow which is quite exciting.

Car just needs the front right caliper fixing as it sticks and your daddy to weld my cage in, then its all going to be painted :)

No, Chris had a poorly Clio so didn't get the chance.

Did plenty on the Rallye though, another update once I get home and get onto photobucket.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Ive not long since sold mine, hope you dont mind me posting a couple of pics

009-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

This is the first rallye I had in cherry red, it had been fully refurbed (respray, fresh set of stickers, steelies, carpets etc, I never got many propper pics of it when it was done but it was awesome

S7300112.jpg

S7300116.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

Had a good day on her yesterday.

Fabricated a panel for the battery isolation switch
Removed the imobiliser
fitted glove box
fitted door bins
relocated the fire extinguisher
bought and fitted a load of bungs
fitted a black sunstrip as we don't deserve the Northloop one, not yet anyway
and finally fitted the new wheels

Wheels fitted..
DSC_0058.gif

Fire bottle moved

DSC_0057.gif

Alternator, radiator and manifold all removed ready for new stuff going in.

DSC_0061.gif

More pics soon.....

More pics, apologies for the quality, damn iPhone!

Plate I made for the battery isolation switch
IMG_0312.jpg

Manifold wrapped and sprayed, ready for fitting.
IMG_0314.jpg

Love this car :) Ed did a fab job with it, glad to see its gone to someone who is going to use her properly

Williams 2 & 200
Here's my old beast, plan is to get a 16v S1 sorted when i've paid off the 182. I miss it soo much :(

DSC00464.jpg

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
looks like a magnex from a 106 gti that is commonly used, also has a gti rear spoiler by the looks of things

Update time.......

Well after the alternator, manifold and radiator came off, the engine got a bit of a clean.

Before
DSC_0065-Copy-Copy-Copy.gif

After
DSC_0066-Copy.gif

Then the manifold, alternator and and new radiator got fitted and the front end put back on.

DSC_0067.gif

DSC_0068-Copy.gif

DSC_0074-Copy.gif

We then filled the radiator and gave it a bleed, this heated up the manifold wrap which smoked like hell and scared the s**t out of me.

9d25d69b.gif

And then the treats we purchased her. I'm rather excited about these, sad I know.

DSC_0075.gif

DSC_0078.gif

DSC_0076-Copy.gif

DSC_0079.gif

All stickered up, and bar a coat of wax she is ready for Germany

It's such good fun to drive, the ATB works really well and gives immense grip in the corners.

That and I just love the old style look of the S1. Although it does need a bit of tlc, bumpers need re-painting.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That would be immense fun with the useable power of the gti engine.

Can you go bigger on power or will it ruin it?

With the atb you can go bigger and still have very useable power.

More power is something we will look at after this year. We are thinking of stripping the engine, high comp pistons, new cams, ecu and some cheeky itb's.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
love the new stickers mate looks so much better, your tempting me back into getting another one, cherry red rocks, I need a black one now then Ive had the full colour range :D

Right, a little update.

This weekend was the Nurburgring trip, and what an awesome time we had, Weather wasn't brill, but was good enough on days to get some good dry lapping in.

I fund the Rallye a different beast to the 182 I took last year, and it took a few laps to get used to it and start putting in some confident laps.

Sadly we had a problem on the last day which resulted in the car breaking down mid lap, not good!

On her way to the mechanics..
b68cddd3.gif

And here is the lap where it all went wrong.

Gutted for the car, really put a downer on the end of the holiday but more importantly I will never know how good my lap was going to be, even with traffic. ;)

Have a watch, hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: