ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stay out of Lancashire!

Honda Civic Type R GT

Cos the speed Nazis are everywhere!

Just returned from court, 6 points and £350 for 87mph in a 50 zone.

Fair enough you may say, but on the drive to work the other day the Police had a Ford Galaxy parked on the pavement (people were having to step into the road to get past it) targeting a sign going from a 40 zone to a 30.

Safety my arse, its all about the money!

Tommy.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Err... its not just Lancashire mate...

Serves you right for doing 87mph in a 50mph zone!!! :cry:

Honda Civic Type R GT

I know it serves me right, I was expecting a ban. Although the road in question has been reduced from 70 and is not a residential area.

My complaint is the way they try and justify the number of speed cameras,etc with saftey instead of just coming clean and confessing the need to raise revenue.

Tommy.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I will agree that there are a hell of a lot of new speed cameras popping up all over Lancs (I live there) and it is becuase they are one of the Police forces that gets a cut of the revenue from speeding fines.

At least they are all bright orange & reflective though...

Honda Civic Type R GT

I drive 17 miles to work each day and there are 12 on my way. Ive requested accident figures to justify the cameras from Lancashire safety on three occassions. Heard nothing.

Tommy.

Where abouts in Lancs are you from Tommy???

I Live near Rich D and its true there about 25-30 cameras gone up in our over the last couple of year in fact 1 road (in Harle Syke) has 5 cameras from start to finish - its not like its the M1 or anything either.

996 Carrera

Me and the girlfriend are originally from Preston - were in exile in Berkshire.

Every time we go back to visit the rellys theres a new camera up in and around the place.

Not to mention the amount of cameras on the M6 on the drive up!

A few months ago the girlfriend got off 3 points and a fine with the speed awareness scheme (£90 a go - cha-ching) when she was caught in Preston doing 34 in a 30 at 1 in the morning while picking up her drunken parents from a party? Cheers!

This is the reason Ive just got a GPS unit for my Palmpilot along with the Trafcam camera database software. It should help me keep my license clean - touch wood.

Thats the good thing about living in the North East, we hardly have any cameras at all. I think there are only about 6 in the Tyne & Wear area, Durham Police area has absolutely none! Woohoo!

Only bad spot is a genuine black spot at Stannington on the A1 where they have reduced the speed limit to 50mph and there are about 4 cameras each way.

silver valver/hybrid

i went down a road the other day that i hadnt been down for at least a year, i knew there were 4 cameras in a 50 zone then it drops to 30 with no cameras, i was trundling along at 45, now i was the only car on the road and i looked down for a second to turn the radio down and i didnt realise that they had extended the 30 zone to include the last camera. flashed me at 45, bit pissed off, still waiting to hear anything.....

buy a detector. Cheap ones on e-bay. do a search for cobra. a few lads up here have just got them and they say they work perfectly with not too many false alarms

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by SoLow on 03 February 2003

buy a detector. Cheap ones on e-bay. do a search for cobra. a few lads up here have just got them and they say they work perfectly with not too many false alarms
Yeah, I am on my 2nd detector and they do work... but not for everything!

Will only pic up Gatsos and stuff like supermaket doos, roadworks, etrc...

Not the mobile units in the back of the Ford Galaxys which are quite popular in Lancs. Wont get SPECS either.

Basically, you need to be alert!

Im in Lancashire too, specifically Preston. There are cameras absolutely everywhere its a joke. They have made nearly every road in Preston a 30, and big yellow boxes on every straight. Im not advocating speeding in any way, 30 miles an hour past a school or residential area is justifiable, but on a dual carriageway with few junctions and bends, and not a house or school or anything for miles? Lancashire County Council and the Police have gone crazy with these things.

Shame we British arent as extreme as our Eastern cousins, and we dont have any suicide bombers strapping themselves to cameras. Theres a thought.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

damianshaker -

Yeah, I work in Preston (well Samlesbury) and it is stupid...

although im not from lancashire, i do actually know ow everyone feels

Northamptonshire is one of the worst (if not the worst) for speed cameras and safety (!!!???) teams, all it takes is one lapse in concentration and youre stuffed. Fortunately, so far i have only been flashed once (50 in a 40) but have not been sent a NIP as yet (happened 6 months ago, so i assume ive got away with it)

Honda Civic Type R GT

I drive from Blackpool to Preston daily and its ridiculous. Lancashire has 4 mobile speed units (from their website) and the other day I saw 2 of them down the A583 in places where I cannot recall an accident in the last 5 years. I am all for strict enforcement by schools, etc but the crap they keep regurgitating is complete nonsense.

Regards,

Tommy.