ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steam database hacked?!

DCi
no source... well i was due a password change anyway...

edit found this:

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Evo 5 RS
changing mine :/

So much for employing that chap who stole the HL2 build lol, obviously paid off...not.

Always a bigger fish

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Only the forum accounts were hacked, and Steam Guard stops this sort of thing happening with the Steam accounts anyway

Steam rocks balls

DCi
Only the forum accounts were hacked, and Steam Guard stops this sort of thing happening with the Steam accounts anyway

Steam rocks balls
haters gonna hate

the statement says they might have salted passwords... so a quick change and we're reet.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
wilky1107 said:
Seriously, wtf? Steam is the best thing that's ever happened to gaming.

I disagree, although I'm bitter about paying them for something I didn't get. Their customer support is diabolical in my experience.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
I disagree, although I'm bitter about paying them for something I didn't get. Their customer support is diabolical in my experience.

Well in all fairness I can agree about their customer service. I had my account hacked a few months ago and it took absolutely ages to get it back. However, they make up for it with -

Amazing scope of games for every audience, and most of them being a lot cheaper than retail
Direct video driver downloads
Automatic updates for all games, patches etc
Great community pages, friends etc
Pre-loading unreleased games so I can play bang on midnight
Mid-week madness and bargains!
No need for discs ever again so I can never lose my games!

I'm sure I've missed plenty of things. What's not to like? :cool:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well in a nutshell. I bought Deus Ex 3 from them about 5 months before it came out. Paid up front (wtf, but hey it was only £40). They gave me Deus Ex 1 for free immediately which I have already somewhere but oh well, still a laugh to play.

I bought the limited edition which included various extras including extra missions and guns, also art book and soundtrack (I kind of figured they wouldn't provide this but still thought it was strange they would advertise it).

In the end I downloaded the game, completed it and forgot all about the extras. And then the DLC came out... Kind of reminded me that I was supposed to get all of the DLC they were trying to charge me another £10 for free. I contacted them, they said no you don't get any of that. I checked the product description for the limited edition and it had indeed been changed, did not describe any of the extras apart from the art book etc (which they give you as a .pdf ffs).

Anyway, lots of back and forth emails and they got pretty abrupt, saying "digital downloads of the game would not be eligible for the free DLC" i.e. if you bought the game on disc, you would get everything, and if you buy it from Steam you will pay £10 extra for a PDF that you could probably find on google.

I was sickened by their customer service tbh, yeah it's only £10 and frankly not worth the time I spent emailing them but why should anyone pay £10 extra for nothing? I will never buy anything from them again. Only reason it's still on my PC is for CS:S.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've also had problems with other products from them. Bought Crysis, installed it and booted up to be told that my copy isn't legitimate. Speak to Steam and they say "It's not a problem with the download so talk to EA".

A friend of mine bought GTA4 and it didn't work at all. Can't work out why, bought the retail copy and it ran smooth as you like. I agree the offers they do are pretty special at times, but overall not worth it imo.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
I had my account hacked, took me about 4 days to get it back

Yea it normally does.

To cut a long story short my old PC was absolutely knakard and I was pretty skint so I didn't replace it for nearly a year. During the time I was gone someone had hacked my account and sold it to somebody in Australia. When I finally got myself a new PC I went to log on but couldn't, a bit of investigation and it turned out this other guy owned my account. So I went to Steam and they gave it me back after 3-4 days. I then went to log in one day and my account was blocked completely. The guy in Australia said that someone had hacked his account, even though it was mine. I went back and forth with e-mails etc, I even sent them a photo of my CS:CZ CD key with a reference number they provided written on it. They then send me an e-mail saying that I sold the account and it's completely against Steam rules. I was pretty pissed off then, basically wrote them a massive essay telling them to check the registered e-mail address's etc and notice that it must of changed before it was sold. They eventually gave it me back (after a threaten to go to a small claims court, as my account was worth a couple of hundred quid) and I've had no problems since. <--- Sorry I didn't really cut it short did I! :cool:

I kind of feel sorry for the guy in Australia though, he's clearly bought it off ebay and lost it all. I rarely play CS-Source, look at the time he's racked up on my account below!!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/wilky1107/Steamer-1.jpg

Jeff, are you 1.6 or Source mate?

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Lol sounds like you've seen how stupid they are too then...

I am on Source, installed it this year and I can't believe it's still playable after all this time... Like.. 11 years since I played it last lol.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Source is absolutely s**te mate haha :cool:

I'm completely 1.6 only, much better game in my opinion. Think they released Source in 2004 so you've had it a while anyway, both counter-strikes are still the most played game on Steam (apart from the new releases for a couple of weeks) -

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

CS 1.6 and Source are normally the top 2 every day.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Well in all fairness I can agree about their customer service. I had my account hacked a few months ago and it took absolutely ages to get it back. However, they make up for it with -

Amazing scope of games for every audience, and most of them being a lot cheaper than retail
Direct video driver downloads
Automatic updates for all games, patches etc
Great community pages, friends etc
Pre-loading unreleased games so I can play bang on midnight
Mid-week madness and bargains!
No need for discs ever again so I can never lose my games!

I'm sure I've missed plenty of things. What's not to like? :cool:

I had to wait until 8am to play Skyrim!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I hadn't played Source until this year. Apart from the riot shields I don't see what's different tbh (I do miss those from time to time though lol). That said you can forget a lot in that time (I started playing on 0.8 IIRC)