ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steerin wheel controls

i got a new sony head unit the other day, and i got an auto lead from halfords so the steering wheel controls and dash display still work. I got it all home an fitted the headunit fine but when it came to fitting the auto lead i didnt have a clue, the instructions dont make any sense. I went to halfords and asked how much they charge to fit it and they said 60 quid. How hard is it to do yourself and how do you do it?

ja

Nissan R35 GT-R

Which car have you got?

Which head unit have you got?

What connections do you have on your autolead?

Usually the remote by your steering wheel must plug into the autolead, which then plugs into the remote slot of the head unit. Its not hard to fit as long as you know what youre doing - certainly not £60 worth of work!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

...I had an autoleads adaptor for my 1999 Clio...

To fit it you had to:

pull the seals away from the doors by the a frames

remove the a frames

remove the 2 screws in the dash by the doors, remove the 3 screws in the top of the dash by the window, remove the 2 screws holding on the cover around the steering column, then remove the final 2 screws holding the dash on.

Pull the top of the dash forward and lift out of the car

Unplug the correct cable going into the remote display, plug the autoleads adaptor into that cable, and the 3.5 mm plug into the stereo...

...if your instructions are anything like that then you are in for a real treat! It takes a bit of time and effort to do this - but it isnt really that tricky, you just have to have cofidenence on what you are doing...

..btw, Id disconnect the battery as well, wouldnt want an airbag going off would we?!

From what I can gather, the connects2 boxes are better (They keep the remote display as well), in that they just connect to the adaptor which would have plugged into the stock stereo....no messing with dashboard to fit....

...good luck!

Adrian

i,ve got a 99 1.2 rt, the head unit is sony cdxm8oo and as for the connections i,ve got i dont kno. i just went into halfords and asked them which lead would fit and they gave me one.

What are connects2 boxes, how much, where from?

ja

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

http://www.connects2.co.ukwww.connects2.co.uk

not sure on price, but I think theyre about £60 from what I can remember.

The autoleads one does work, I think its a lot more effort to fit it than the connects2 adaptor.

The connects2 adaptor is also fairly large (can someone confirm this?!) so you have to find a place behind (infact behind & left is a good bet) the headunit to put the box, whereas the autoleads one is very small and takes up zero space....

Adrian

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

...phone them up, tell them what car youve got and what stereo and they should be able to tell you...

From what Ive read both the display and controls should work as well with the connects2 adaptor.

Adrian

my 2002 clio is the cheapy model and has no screen does this make it easier or harder to fit the steering wheel adaptor? its a sony head unit.

cheers

Dot the connects2 ones work only with sony? Or do they work with alpine aswell? Because i need a similar lead, but ive got an alpine head unit!

i dont think they make a lead for alpine, but dont quote me on that. I think they only make em for sony and kenwood, i think.

I have the connects2 on my 2000 1.2 with a Sony HU and Disc changer. It works with both the stalk and the display (including CD text). Was easy to fit (no need to take the dash off). It is a little bit bulky but fits in behind the HU with a bit of juggling. Would definately recommend it. Was About £70 all in.

Had the auto leads one before this but would not control the display and was a lot off effort to fit. Have to take of the dash and plug part of it in behind the display. Still have it lying around if anyone wants it.