ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Airbag By-Pass

Want to change my steering wheel but as soon as I disconnect the airbag the light goes on, Is there a way to by-pass the steering airbag without disconnecting the other airbags?

im curious about this too! you could always remove the bulb! :) but godonlyknows what kind of untold damage that could do to the onboard diagnostics!
maybe one of the major steering wheel brands manufacture a boss kit with airbag sensor for the 172? but where im from, its quite hard to buy off the rack for european marques, esp for tuning accessories.

just my 2cents,
inf1d3l

removing the bulb will not really fix the problem, I need a by-pass plug of some sort to connect the air bag wire, does anyone know how it works because I tried looping the circuit back to itself and that didnt work either, might be a resister or something..

taking out the bulb was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment actually.
the boss-kit with the airbag adaptor has a resistor that tricks the computer into thinking the airbag is still there. not sure as to the exact specs though.

regards,
inf1d3l

just opened up my steering wheel. managed to get a boss kit for the car. unlike most typical japanese cars with a single pair of wires, the 172 seems to have two sets of two wires each. and i only had ONE resistor! sighz. going to pick up the resistor with four wires tomorrow and ill see how it works out. the airbag cover is surprisingly easy to take out. just hope the spindle is compatible with my boss kit and wont break when i turn the steering wheel!

regards,
inf1d3l

There should be only 1 pair of wires for the airbag, its the one with the orange plug, the other pair is just the horn. what resistors are you using?

erm, actually mine has an ORANGE one, a GREEN one AND the horn connectors. tried the four in one resistor but it didnt work. switched to using two single resistors instead. airbag light is off now. finally. would post a image of the underside of the airbag unit now but my digital camera isnt with me.

regards,
inf1d3l

okay. latest update. not so good. resistors work fine. would like to be able
to give you details but i dun have any cos i got the resistors without any
packaging at all. they were in a bunch wrapped in bubble wrap. no brand
markings or packaging at all. AFAIK, theyre from taiwan or hong kong. u
could try the hongkong or taiwanese clio groups on yahoo. i bought my set
from a local store. (btw, im from singapore)
well, i had an odd noise coming from the steering column over the weekend
and i thot something was stuck, but it was a little worse than that.
apparently, the boss kit was NOT an exact fit and true to my worst fears,
the wiring loom was all scrunched up and twisted. some of the wiring was
already exposed
but this has been rectified somewhat with strategic use of black tape, and
some plastic tie wrap and it seems to be holding up fine so far.

regards,
inf1d3l

p.s. will try to find out if the store has any details on the resistors they
indent

still trying to get details about the resistors. and just realised that there doesnt seem to be any way of posting images!

regards,
inf1d3l

it is a japanese brand called HKB. they make steering wheel boss kits but also sell the resistors separately i believe.

regards,
inf1d3l

one red and one black. probably to form a complete circuit im guessing. will see if i can get my paws on an ohmeter to get a reading.

regards,
inf1d3l

Renault Laguna Coupe

Cool! I can see and extra gauge and some extra switches to the righ of the steering wheel. Wots that then?