ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering issues

Clio 182 cup
Hi everyone I'm having issues with my steering checked everything had it tracked nothing seems to work, the steering feels lose and follows every buck and cranny in the road. I've just gone through the invoices to see what tires the last owner put on it and I'm wondering if there causing all my issues, the tires are excellera phi-r they have alot of tread on them still. Other issue is it slides alot on roundabouts

Clio 172 Ph2
Hi everyone I'm having issues with my steering checked everything had it tracked nothing seems to work, the steering feels lose and follows every buck and cranny in the road. I've just gone through the invoices to see what tires the last owner put on it and I'm wondering if there causing all my issues, the tires are excellera phi-r they have alot of tread on them still. Other issue is it slides alot on roundabouts

Sliding on round abouts depending upon speed could be

1. tyres
2. ARB bushes
3. suspension oil leaks

These are where i would start.

ARB bushes and Suspension

I had a blown out rear offside suspension damper that was dripping oil.

I hadnt noticed anything until i turned off a 50mph road and there is a small shikane at the end to slow you down more, i hit it around 15mph nothing crazy and the back stepped out a little.

Upon investigation i found a leak on the suspension.

What tyre pressures are you running?

I'm not convinced those tyres are any good, though - if you have the cash, consider swapping for some that are more highly rated.

Clio 182 cup
Sliding on round abouts depending upon speed could be

1. tyres
2. ARB bushes
3. suspension oil leaks

These are where i would start.

ARB bushes and Suspension

I had a blown out rear offside suspension damper that was dripping oil.

I hadnt noticed anything until i turned off a 50mph road and there is a small shikane at the end to slow you down more, i hit it around 15mph nothing crazy and the back stepped out a little.

Upon investigation i found a leak on the suspension.
Thank you for the reply I'm having 4 new tyres put on tomorrow so hopefully that will cure the issue. I cant see any suspension leaks I'll check the arb bushes later and see if anything is a miss

Clio 182 cup
What tyre pressures are you running?

I'm not convinced those tyres are any good, though - if you have the cash, consider swapping for some that are more highly rated.
32 on front 28 on back I think. That's what I'm thinking they seemed ok when it was dry so did the car soon as it's getting wetter its death trap to drive

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I had accelera alpha on the back of my 182, absolutely shocking! It was like having supermarket trolley wheels on the back end

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It really is one of those things with tyres, that you can't afford to put budget ones on something even moderately sporty.

It is the only contact you have with the road - so imagine trying to control an object at 70mph, weighing approximately a ton and potentially changing direction quickly, or under heavy braking...... it just isn't worth it.

Clio 182 cup
If these are the tyres you mean , I'm not surprised you're having steering issues.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Accelera/PHI.htm 32 front and 30 rear was the recommended tyre pressure on original 182 Michelin Pe2's
Yeah there the ones haha absolutely shocking they are. They come on the car and never thought of checking what they were till it's been acting up last few weeks. I've gone for perelli p zeros hopefully that will cure the issue

Clio 182 cup
It really is one of those things with tyres, that you can't afford to put budget ones on something even moderately sporty.

It is the only contact you have with the road - so imagine trying to control an object at 70mph, weighing approximately a ton and potentially changing direction quickly, or under heavy braking...... it just isn't worth it.
I totally agree I'm having perelli put on tomorrow cant believe how shocking it is in the wet anytime above 50 I fear for my life