ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Knock

PH1 172 Sport
Car has developed an odd problem. When the car hasn't been driven for a while the steering makes a knocking noise when I turn left and then immediately right.

If the car is stationary and I wiggle the steering wheel a few inches in either direction I get a knock when the wheel is returning from the left.

Once driven for about 10 metres the noise goes if I repeat the above and it won't do it again until its been sat still for a while.

Any ideas?

PH1 172 Sport
Anybody got any ideas? From reading on here I'm guessing the steering rack could be loose.

PH1 172 Sport
Ok Ive worked out that it does this all the time not just when its cold. If I sit there with the engine off and wiggle the steering wheel I get a clunking noise which Ive now tracked to the drivers side of the car.

I've never had a steering related problem before so any pointers of what I should be looking for would be great!

clio 182
Could be a track rod end or a ball joint to start with.

Jack the front up, put your hands at 3 o clock and 9 o clock on the wheel and wiggle it, if theres play it will be a track rod end.

Put your hands at 12 o clock and 6 o clock and do the same to check the ball joint.

PH1 172 Sport
Thanks for the answers guys:

Where are the rack clamps located? I did have a look over the weekend and tried to tighten what I thought were the rack clamps but I'm not sure if I did the right ones as I couldn't find a picture of them anywhere.

The ones I tried to tighten had the bolts going horizontal to the ground. and had quite bad access. One of the bolt heads had to accessed through a access hole?

This could also be the common problems, like steering rack being knackered (made of cheese) or the strut tops knocking.

Best bet would be to get a garage to check it out, inform you of what they think is the problem and then get back to us.

Replacement racks can be had for £35 and strut top knocking can be solved by £10 washers or more expensive solid top mounts.

PH1 172 Sport
Ive already got solid top mounts. I dont mind looking myself but as ive never had any steering related problems I need a quick rundown on how to check everything. I will only go to a garage as a last resort.

OK, best bet is to do simple checks.

Jack the car up and wiggle the front wheels, firstly to check side to side movement, then to check up and down movement (move the wheel towards to you from the top, then back again). This will show any play from things like track rod ends.

PH1 172 Sport
Well my knocking is being caused by the passenger inner steering joint. I assume they are a git to remove?

Also my steering rack only had the top right of the sticker left on it which reads DAD if that means anything to anybody i would be grateful otherwise im going to have to buy one of each inner!

clio sport 182
i have just started to hear the same problem, my car is going to the garage in the morning (RENAULT GARAGE) i will let u know wht they find might be the same problem m8

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Well my knocking is being caused by the passenger inner steering joint. I assume they are a git to remove?

Also my steering rack only had the top right of the sticker left on it which reads DAD if that means anything to anybody i would be grateful otherwise im going to have to buy one of each inner!

Do you mean the track rod end's? if so their only £14ish each from a car parts place.

clio sport 172
hi there, your post brought my attention as i had the same problem with my 172 i replaced the ball joints which had to be genuine renault parts and they would only supply the ball joint with whole lower arm so i did this costing me £140 as one of them had already split so i just do the pair, i then replaced the track rods as they were only like £30 for the pair, i then checked the inners but they were fine i checked the steering up on the ramps by running the car so power steering was working and then right lock straight to left lock with my hands on the alloy wheel and was making a big knocking noise so i found out it was the steering rack, and when i went down an un-even country road the steering pulled me all over the place having to correct it all the time, i brought a steering rack without knowing the work that was involved to change it so i never got round to fitting it and now have sold the car and i just have steering rack in my garage which come off a low mileage clio 182 2005 model which was rear ended, the track rods are in perfect condition with no splits in the rubber and no play, and also steering gaiters in good condition, let me know if your interested. :D

cheers joe