ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering problem

350z, Subaru Legacy
Ok I have been experiencing an issue when turning left - most noticeable at high speeds - the steering 'slips' back to the right occasionally - quite dangerous tbh lol - There appears to be a certain sweet spot where this happens; around 15- 20 degree turn maybe?

Along with this my steering wheel alignment is now off, with wheels straight - steering wheel is turned to the left quite noticeably.

Lastly have been noticing knock sounds when turning the wheel left at a certain point - this is not a driveshaft knocking however - normally a single knock as I turn the wheel past a certain point.

I have a feeling that something on the steering rack may be loose or... not really too sure tbh...

Any ideas of places to start checking?

Renaultsport clio 172
how far does the wheel turn until it knocks??? just before full lock?? 1 turn off the wheel?? and have u got any modifications with the car e.g lowering???

Hi, Yes I have heard mention of the bushes in another thread, can these be checked with a visual inspection?

Sootyman,
My car cluncks when I have turned the wheel left, and then go in the other direction and start turning the wheel right with any lock. Even if the wheel is central, and i put a slight quarter turn left, once I go right it cluncks. It tramlines really bad too, and goes mental if you give it any beans (I dont think I been over 5k rpm in first since last summer because of it). It seems to be getting worse too, I have had it in a few garages where I live, and have been told mixed messages (all from top mounts, to shocks, wheel camber ball joint etc). But so far all have been ruled out (or its proved to expensive to change in the off-chance it is the problem).