ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack play

Clio 182
A few months ago I had the steering rack mounts replaced on my 182 I knew something was wrong as the steering was awful, me and my Father found that it was the steering rack bushes by having one person in the car rocking the steering wheel and the other with a torch looking down the back of the engine bay, it was clear to see that the rack was moving a considerable amount in the mounts.

Just this week when commuting I have been noticing that the car needs much more left lock to do a slight bend on the motorway than it would for the same angle bend going right, similar to what it was doing before I had the mounts replaced. So again I've done the rocking of the steering and looked at the mounts and there does seem to be some play again but I would have said it was a mm or two each way at most so no-where near as bad as last time but I can't help thinking there should be no movement whatsoever, could my problem be being caused by this or something else?

If anyone would be able to do a similar test on there 172/182 and let me know what there's is like that would be great!

Clio 182
Anyone have any ideas? Some research has suggested that my problem might lie with something like a worn ball joint, I guess this seems more likely as the rack mounts are very new.

172 Ph1
Get it checked properly , instead of guessing , I say this as you could potentially throw money at it when it could be spent else where on the correct part that needs changing .
If something else is worn it'll show up straight away to a keen eye in the know .