ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering squeak driving me insane

Clio 197
Ever since I bought my 1.2 it's had this creak/squeak from the steering, especially at low speeds. It's finally gotten to me so I've had a look and it appears to be coming from somewhere on the rack, possibly around where it comes through the bulkhead. I attached a video and any ideas or advice is really appreciated!:)
Ignore the clunking in the video that's just my steering lock.

Thanks, Max.

Attachments

• 20191006_231514.mp4
    32.5 MB
  Clio 197
I'm thinking I might have to lubricate the grommet where the column goes through the bulkhead. Any ideas on how to do it and what's best to use?

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I have the same problem. Took it to my local Renault garage and they’ve diagnosed the problem as within the rack itself.

I’ve replaced everything else on the front and and so i’m pretty convinced they’re right.

If its not the case of greasing where the column spins in the boot, then being epas another rack is not much trouble. You could go quick rack ;) Not a bad idea as the seals and what not would be brand new

Clio 197
I have the same problem. Took it to my local Renault garage and they’ve diagnosed the problem as within the rack itself.

I’ve replaced everything else on the front and and so i’m pretty convinced they’re right.
Ahhh that's a pain, will likely just have to live with it then until it gets so bad I can justify a new rack. I've read that there's an idler gear within the rack that likes to become noisy so that's probably it🙄.

If its not the case of greasing where the column spins in the boot, then being epas another rack is not much trouble. You could go quick rack ;) Not a bad idea as the seals and what not would be brand new
Is it possible to buy quick racks for epas clios?? If so I may have to have a look at that🤔