ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stepping back into the Clio as an Investment??

Trophy 220
Hi,

I used to own a Clio 182 Trophy which was a great car which I sold to go traveling. Since then I have owned a mk4 Golf R32 then onto a B7 RS4. Now I own nothing because I made a load of money out of my RS4 and truth be told.....it was boring!! The trophy was the best car I have owned by a mile. Anyways I am getting married next year so I would like to buy a car that won't lose much money in a short time. I have been looking at getting a 182 FF or Cup but was wondering if these cars have now stopped dropping in price? It's looking like it will be a 6 month investment max but I haven't looked cars like this for years so I am not sure what the market is like. Are many people spending around £3500 to get a clean example with subtle mods and speedline turini wheels?

If anyone can shed some light then that would be awesome.

Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
They are at a level where they are cheap enough to buy and throw away, an okay one for say 1500. Nicer ones 3k plus will sell but may take longer because of the former.

I considered selling mine and would say it’s in the £3k bracket all day long. Finding a suitable replacement with a budget in mind proved tough so decided to keep the car. That and I didn’t really advertise it properly, eBay, Autotrader etc.

I would say if you bought a really nice car you won’t lose money, just expect the ‘but I can get one for like half that’ comments.

Trophy 220
They are at a level where they are cheap enough to buy and throw away, an okay one for say 1500. Nicer ones 3k plus will sell but may take longer because of the former.

I considered selling mine and would say it’s in the £3k bracket all day long. Finding a suitable replacement with a budget in mind proved tough so decided to keep the car. That and I didn’t really advertise it properly, eBay, Autotrader etc.

I would say if you bought a really nice car you won’t lose money, just expect the ‘but I can get one for like half that’ comments.

Haha I had that with my R32....paid £7500 for it then sold it 3 years later for £7850 to a garage. Most people valued it at £4000 max! I always think if you have a mint example then someone will pay top price for the right one. Are people still having to get someone on here to get the steering wheel re trimmed or is there an easy/cheaper alternative now?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
snappy steering wheels or Royal are companies that do nice wheels. They look decent but can’t beat a smaller 330mm wheel for a better drive.

Trophy 220
A car is not an investment to gain really though is it.
Unless spending a lot and waiting a long time.

I made more money on my RS4 in the 18 months of owning it than what any ISA account would offer in interest. With cars it's about getting sought after models. E.g I bought my Clio trophy for £4700, then sold it 2 years later for £4,800...not a big difference I know but I had put 20k miles more on the clock. Now they are selling for £7500 with similar mileage to what mine had!

PH2 172
CLIO OLD RADS 2015-09-13 14.35.31.jpg
Go trophy again as you won't lose much if any, and you're back home in the car you love.
Not really.
You could replace tired Sachs suspension with better spec new AST`s, for less than the cost of a Sachs refresh, but then it would not be a real Trophy.
It`s still a 12 year old unsorted Clio shed if the rad looks like this.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
RS4 was boring? Is you mad? You didn’t drive it right ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I only recently looked at the price of a decent 182 again recently and was surprised they hadnt budged at all. I sold my RB 182 Cup 3 years ago for £2700 and you wouldnt be able to buy one now in the condition that was in for the same price.

Shite, ragged 172s are worth about the same as freddo though.

Trophy 220
RS4 was boring? Is you mad? You didn’t drive it right :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah mate, should of gone down the C63 route which is what I'll be doing next. The rs4 doesn't feel like a 420bhp car...it's too refined and feels the same at 140mph as it does at 30mph. Test drove the C63 recently and that's just drama even at idle

Trophy 220
I wouldn't call it an investment just having it for 6 months, more like the fact that you won't really lose any money on it.
Your right but I literally want just a weekend car for the next 6-10 months just to piss around in. What I am getting at is that the Clio has depreciated soo much they shouldn't really drop any more. Surely it just comes down to condition mileage and spec now??

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Only way to go for free-ish clio motoring is to get another trophy as prices are on the rise.

Trophy 220
Only way to go for free-ish clio motoring is to get another trophy as prices are on the rise.
Green your from Basingstoke?? Same. Fortunately I have made money on every car I have owned so I don't plan to break that over a Clio, maybe the trophy will have to be the way forward.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you get something ultra low miles at a bargain I can’t see how your going to make fortunes in 6 months. Well not fortunes but you know what I mean.

If you were to buy an immaculate clio and keep it until the summer you will probably get your money back. Unless someone who has no idea what the car is worth and sells it well behind what it should be.

With regards prices, they will and further more be all over the place. The amount of times over the years someone buys a ‘bargain’ then throws money at it to get to the same level as a clean car, has been a lot. Good luck with the search.

Trophy 220
Unless you get something ultra low miles at a bargain I can’t see how your going to make fortunes in 6 months. Well not fortunes but you know what I mean.

If you were to buy an immaculate clio and keep it until the summer you will probably get your money back. Unless someone who has no idea what the car is worth and sells it well behind what it should be.

With regards prices, they will and further more be all over the place. The amount of times over the years someone buys a ‘bargain’ then throws money at it to get to the same level as a clean car, has been a lot. Good luck with the search.

Thanks for your help, I know what you are saying....my Audi cost £21000 and sold for £23500 with 54k miles and full Audi service history. You could buy same spec but with 60k+ miles for £18000. The difference was mine was immaculate so therefore made it rarer due to condition for its age but it took a while to sell due to its price tag. Obviously people on here have made it clear that it's not worth the money or time to buy a Clio....that's why I posted in here because I haven't looked at Renaults for years so I have no idea what the markets saying. I'll stick to driving My missus's Abarth 595 for the next few months :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly they have fall into the price band where they are simply cheap enough for everyone to have a ‘blast’. There will always be a market for nicer clios.

Some who have bought cheap and realised it wasn’t the best plan. Or people who will simply pay that bit more for a nicer well maintained car.

Enjoy the Fiat, cool little cars.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Green your from Basingstoke?? Same. Fortunately I have made money on every car I have owned so I don't plan to break that over a Clio, maybe the trophy will have to be the way forward.
I know of a trophy coming up for sale in basingstoke soon. Not low miles (cica 90k-100k IIRC), but very well looked after. Drop me a PM and will email you the blokes details when he's selling.