ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking throttle cable??

Hi all

So its been a verrrrry long time since ive been on here but glad to have another Clio at long last :D

Anyway so i picked up my ph1 172 yesterday. Its nowhere near mint and could do with some paint work sortting but i have a few minor little niggles that i'd like to sort first

First off i have a feeling the throttle cable is sticking.... Scenario.. Pull upto a junction or lights and sit in nutral or even as soon as you engage the clutch the revs dont drop below about 2k, give it a slip blip of the throttle and it goes back and idles nicely

Am i right in thinking this is just a sticky throttle cable or could it be the TDC or even just a sticking TB?

I guesed that this has been covered a million times but couldnt find anything from the search (probably my lame searching skills though)

Ph 1 172
I've had this twice now on my phase 1 and for me it always is a worn throttle cable, quick replacement and its all sorted. You can check to see if its your TB by disconnecting the cable and opening the throttle by hand to see if its caught or sticking. Like I said though mine always seems to be throttle cable fucked. The last time mine was bad I was accelerating from a roundabout on to a dual carriageway and it jammed the throttle open couldnt figure out what was going on till I was up near 80mph+ had to drive home for 2 miles with the throttle wide open wheel spinning at every junction lol was not a good look

172, Tiguan
It'll be either the cable or the TB return spring full of gunk. It's worth replacing the cable and removing the TB and giving it a bloody good clean and regrease. There's a good guide on here, but its pretty straight forward.

Most likely throttle cable, change that first and go from there. I would do it as an annual serviceable item tbh.

If that doesnt fix it, take the pipe off the ICV and stick your thumb over it. If the revs drop thats your problem. If not its the throttle body.

Oh and check the brake servo pipe is pushed fully in, ive made that mistake before :eek:

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The throttle body can wear, too. I've now replaced mine (and a new cable) and it feels great, like it did when it was nearly new.

TBH it does feel like the same issue i had with my 205 Mi16 and that turned out to be a worn TB and cable so i think thats what i'll do first. although im a little surprised the high idle didnt show up on the MOT, perhaps because its an intermitent thing i guess :/