ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticky handbrake?

Mazda MX5 1.8
slightly concerned at noises my cars been making recently

basically my car isnt get driven very much (once or twice a week). i try to remember to leave it in gear and handbrake off but sometimes i forget.
when i go to release the handbrake it seems to stay on then makes a rather loud "ping" as i guess the brakes release (drum brakes on the back btw)
just been out and released the handbrake (washed the car earlier) and it done it again :(

is this anything to be concerned about?

thanx :)

Probbly the drums needed talking off and cleaning maybe the pads need eplacing. Its done as part of the normal service now I forget which ones though.

Mazda MX5 1.8
is it likely to be hard work?
i havent got a service coming up for a while yet so guess i should do it myself.

if so i think ill take it down exmouth and get them take a look at it

clio__chris said:
is it likely to be hard work?
i havent got a service coming up for a while yet so guess i should do it myself.

if so i think ill take it down exmouth and get them take a look at it
Its not difficult to do yourself. Drum shoes are a pain to change though.

Mazda MX5 1.8
well the cars only done 24k miles so i wouldnt of thought they'd have gone yet? unless something is wrong i guess
im still on the std front pads (fair bit left too) so not doing too badly in that respect

it seems it only really does it when its been wet/washed tho so dont know if thats the issue

clio__chris said:
well the cars only done 24k miles so i wouldnt of thought they'd have gone yet? unless something is wrong i guess
im still on the std front pads (fair bit left too) so not doing too badly in that respect

it seems it only really does it when its been wet/washed tho so dont know if thats the issue
Might be some water getting in I'd imagine you use a pressure washer which won't help.

They can fail though there was a batch of bad ones soem time ago but they can crack and fail.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Mine used to do that, tightening the handbrake cable seemed to do the trick. Not sure how it was related but whatever.