ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stock ECU ITB Design Project

I was going to keep this as nothing more than an quiet experiment etc but I thought instead I thought I would throw it up as a little project as it may make interesting reading for some; usual mix of prototyping, design few cad drawings etc. If you don't find this sort of stuff interesting, apologies. The project will potter along, problems etc all included and solved as we go - a typical deign project really!

I was intrigued by Russ' approach to converting a stock ECU PH1 over to port throttles, I consider it an interesting project and decided I would like to have a crack myself after spending a few hours with a sketch book. I'm a strong believer in development that doesn't rip out the guts of a car just to make things work, only to have it half working in the end anyway. I also think the standard ECU is a powerful unit when used correctly, the problem is designing around it to allow it to do it's job.

Anyway first step was to acquire a car & a willing owner - done (thanks Chris)
Next up a set of Jenveys and set about with the design / manufacture.

After much thought I decided the best course of action would be to run a 'MAP tank' that provides all of the necessary take offs / inputs. These include but are not limited to ICV (Idle control valve), x4 take 1/4 BSP take offs for each of the ports (post throttle petal), MAP sensor etc etc.

I've opted for little trumpets too begin with to ensure we don't start replacing fans / adding aerocatches for no reason should Matt/Paul not be able to get it to run well enough. (they don't know this fight is coming their way yet ;)). I am a design engineer, not a do it all dogs body - so when it comes to the ECU side of things I haven't the slightest hesitation in taking the cars to the guys who can do..

The key aim of this project is to conclude with a car that starts, runs and drives like OEM, or as near to as we can achieve, something which isn't always considered a priority it seems by both customer and supplier.

I was keen to keep the conversion as tidy as possible, so have gone for a piggy back design on top of the MR23 manifold, room is tight - but there is enough for a decent sized chamber. It's size should provide a good balance between response time and total air volume.

The concept for the MAP tank was sketched out:

MAP%20Tank.jpg

The idea is that the tank will sit on top of the base manifold:

MAP%20Tank%20Assembly.jpg

(I've haven't got a .part file for the MR23 at hand so I have thrown it onto our own RS2 base manifold.) You can see the attachment points at either end of the upper manifold to head bolts.

I drew up some take off designs (see above images) that could be mounted onto a 41mm diameter tube type tank and machined them up. I've kept them simple as this is just a proof of principal prototype.

ICV fitting:

DSC03152.jpg

Assembled:

DSC03143.jpg

1 piece fitting to contain all of the other fittings / take offs:

DSC03146.jpg

Mock assembly:

DSC03148.jpg

The key thing with the position is to ensure that non of the fittings foul the throttle assembly & the linkage system.

The parts are all mild steel, so they will be joined up and then the unit will be zinc coated for a nice finish.

The map tank supply pipes will join the inlet tract post throttle body with a set of 20mm thick correctly bored blanking spacers, each with another 1/4BSP tapped thread. This format clears the PAS pump housing nicely and provides a nice 8mm ID pipe for good draining/filling rates from the manifold to the tank - something I can see being important in the workings of the kit.

More updates to follow :)

Last edited:
The following image gives a good insight into the space I have to work with.

DSC03150.jpg

(Ignore the pink bit - it is a support lifting the tank to about the right height so I can have a general look at fitment etc.)

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
good luck, i drove Russ' car it worked (sort of) but it was dodgy in areas, i wouldn't bother f**king about personally, just stick an ecu on it

That's not the point of the project. I'm not considering this for production etc, it's simply an exercise. I'm aware of Russ' car having driveability issues, but I've looked at the format of his layout and have some ideas as to why that is.

Lionel Richie
its been tried before in the jap world, it just doesn't work as it should when compared to standalone

Yes, but there will be a reason for that.

+ 99% of the Clios I have come across on standalone don't work either. ..

If you want I can do a silvervision fitting project thread? That might be more up your street ;)

Thanks! There is of course the real risk that it won't work, but if not at least it makes an interesting read for the forum etc.

Evo 5 RS
Russ's car seemed to work alright tbh, but I never drove it. Did sound a bit flat though

GL though! Who knows with some improvements..

Golf GTD Mk7
nice idea tom. Problems solving threads ftw. You can't tell me if this works however, you won't be putting it into production ;). There would definately be a demand for it if the results are good.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Really interesting stuff Tom. I look forward to more updates.

I do wish you'd use my car as a prototype though.

Iirc, you still have to pay for parts/engineering costs though Rob. Albeit discounted.

Its not a free design exercise lol ;)

Looks great Tom, will be interesting to see how it pans out!!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Really Interesting project Tom, be interesting to see when you can go with this....

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Good to see you are actually doing some work on this Tom!

Thanks! There is of course the real risk that it won't work, but if not at least it makes an interesting read for the forum etc.

I'll pretend I didn't read this ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
Russ's car was flat before 3000rpm it stuttered along and juddered, the idle was ok but a bit lumpy, it also went a bit flat at around 6700, work it did, work well it didnt.

Evo 5 RS
TDF's work included? RST's work included?? Don't be daft tomtom ;)

How many % do you reckon go to Matt from the Midlands / South for said conversion though Freddy? Not nearly enough is the answer

I think the problem you'd face if you ever wanted to market something like this is basically proving that it worked just as well. I mean what's it going to cost you now, Omex 600, 500-600 quid? EC1 etc

A lot of people in the trade are going to turn around and say exactly the same thing - not worth the effort. This is why I like the directions you go in lol!

Last edited:
  172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
How good is a standard ecu to an aftermarket? I thought its all about mapping points and how many you have, standard and cheap ecus having far less than the expensive ones. Cannot say I know enough to understand completely yet as i'm not really interested in that sort of thing just yet :D Cannot afford a rolling road to play with

Not just mapping points, the standard ecu use's a map sensor and its very difficult to get a good reading for it with itb's