ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stop Excessive Insurance.....

Ok - I am an old t**t - at 31. This means I can get insured for any car. My Clio 172 is £198 a year, my Mini Coper just £174 a year and my track 205GTI making 230bhp is £200.12 a year...I even got a quote recently for a Ferrari F430 - quoted £1,260 -bargain...

I have loved cars since passing my test aged 17. I could tell all you younger drivers to save your pennies and drive around in a Peugeot 106 Diesel (as I did)...But I also remember older people telling me exactly this and also remember wanting to tell them to f8ck off...!!

I also remembering also promosing my life to the insurance company that I will drive the car very carefully if they consider giving me a cheap price...never worked...

We all lusted over Nova GTEs and XR2 when I was younger, but they cost around £3,000 a year to insure, and they were not even that fast....

So - I have a possible plan for those who dont want to waste £2,500 a year for insurance....:

1. Buy a car, something fast, not just a hot hatch but something really fast...group 20 if you want...(can get a 320bhp Jag for a years premium for a clio 182, and you can sell at the end)

2. Dont tax/mot or insure it

3. Use it just for track days....10, no 100 times more fun than driving on roads and you also become a better driver

4. Drive around in a cheap run around, knowing although your mates are faster than you, you are learning lethal track skills in a car which would leave their cars for dead...

5. When you are older (f7ck I sound old!!) sort of late 20's early 30's when most of your mates have got married, and ther hot hatch is long gone you will have saved loads, be a better driver, and although had a basic run around (or even a tow car?) you would have had 10 times more fun than any road driver...

Yes there are things like having space to keep an off road car, and also you will need to tow it there and back...

When I was 20 I had a 57bhp 106 diesel and all other friends had Fiat Punto GTs, RS Turbos etc..now every single one of them drive a dull family car...I did avoid spending loads on insurance and as an alternative spent my money on saving up for and preparing a 205GTI..now, how the tables have turned...from taking the piss out of my 106 diesel...they now come and watch me with a few thousand other people as I race it at events..now that is a good feeling....

Just my views....

Cheers
Rob

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice post mate, makes a lot of sense imo.

I was brave enough to go on my own insurance from the start and now have 5/6 years no claims at 23 years old. Insurance companies no longer bum me when I ask for quotes.

It was worth the expense at the begining to reap the rewards now.

PS. We are in a "I want it now" world. People don't think of the loan apr or insurance they just want the fast, nice car to impress people and the jones' next door.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
I've debated the track car thing. I would love to do that because last year I had an accident and insurers are trying to bum me this year tbh

the really serious competition drivers all turn up in estate cars or landrovers...when you have so much fun on track a road is simply a piece of tarmac between your home and the circuit...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Your theory is correct...But in reality, cars are like a drug, you get a rush and you keep coming back for more! I know i did, and lets be honest if i had not bought that RS at a young age, i would of spend the cash on nites out!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I kinda agree with you in a way... But then I kinda dont.

Yeh its ok buying a 100 year old 320bhp Jag or whatever - But then you have got to find somewhere to store it (major issue for most people) then you have to think about replacement parts when things go wrong - Faster the car generally the more expensive parts are for them.

I can totally see where you are coming from but its not feasable for most 18-23 year olds to have two cars based on the issue of repairing them, finding somewhere to repair them and also storing them for the 90% of the time that they aren't going to get used.

Lastly, when i first passed my test it cost me a tad over 2k to insure a 1.2 clio dynamique so I feel that me paying £1800 FC on a "performance car" is a worthy cause (all be it still EXPENSIVE). EG some of my mates are still rocking X reg corsas and paying £1500 FC.

£2,500 on insurance is rediculous though. Just my thoughts too :)

A ANIMAL
i like having a fun car for the road, i have no real interest at taking it on a track at £100 a pop.

Nice idea though and i admire your passion, but it's just not feesable

I kinda agree with you in a way... But then I kinda dont.

Yeh its ok buying a 100 year old 320bhp Jag or whatever - But then you have got to find somewhere to store it (major issue for most people) then you have to think about replacement parts when things go wrong - Faster the car generally the more expensive parts are for them.

I can totally see where you are coming from but its not feasable for most 18-23 year olds to have two cars based on the issue of repairing them, finding somewhere to repair them and also storing them for the 90% of the time that they aren't going to get used.

Lastly, when i first passed my test it cost me a tad over 2k to insure a 1.2 clio dynamique so I feel that me paying £1800 FC on a "performance car" is a worthy cause (all be it still EXPENSIVE). EG some of my mates are still rocking X reg corsas and paying £1500 FC.

£2,500 on insurance is rediculous though. Just my thoughts too :)

I agree with the fact that you disagee with me, (does that make sense!)

It was really only for someone who has lots of space etc....and yes the parts will be mega expensive....a jag would probably work its way through a set of tyres in a day on track....

What about getting a motorbike..? I guess insurance for that will be even worse...!!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Would love a motorbike... Although for this year I will be rocking around on a 50CC moped for uni and back. 100mpg and £15 road tax :D

Pug 205 gti
my 172 is £230 a year fc, but im 28. i agree with some points you made there. my second car was a 5gtt, at 21 with a years ncb, it cost just under a 1k to insure. but insurance has gone up a fuckin load for younger drivers now.

320d
Would love a motorbike... Although for this year I will be rocking around on a 50CC moped for uni and back. 100mpg and £15 road tax :D

Mopeds are awesome. Shame I got knocked off mine twice :dapprove: I have a slightly damaged knee, however I got over £7K in compensation so its all good.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
111009kirkistown_068_std.jpg

Clio 200
I agree with everything you say, I started out in a 1.1 Fiesta Ghia on my own insurance many many years ago whilst my mates were running around in AXGT’s on their parents insurance. Now I can insure my 182 with very low excess and the ‘cup pack’ declared for sub £400 (for some reason they call the cup pack a modification!)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was under my mums insurance for nearly 2 years, got out of that trap a year ago and my 1 years NCB means i can get decent 182 quotes when i'm not even 20!

I have also always owned a bike, got 2 years NCB on that, and while it is a fun toy, i prefer the warm dry car. Bike may go next year to make way for a track car if i can part with it.