ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Storing a car, Whats needed to mantain it?

Phase 1 172, boxster
Basically looking to buy a new car soon but wanting to store for a few months, what will i need to do to generally keep it in good order?

Clio 1.2 16v
Get loads of wax, and just cover it in hot wax, then let it dry and store it. Will be kept mint

a thirsty one
somewhere dry, dont leave the handbrake on, some kind of trickle charger for the battery and im sure i heard when cars are beeing stood for a long time they move them a foot or so every now and then something to do with the weight being on the same bit of the tyres all the time.

Phase 1 172, boxster
yeah im gonna be in a position were i can buy the car but wont be able to afford insurance just yet so im gonna store it until i come to renew, i work at a body repair garage so i can store it there for free and work on it from time to time

audi a3 1.8t sport
axle stands, disconect the battary and leave the windows open (stops mold) and leave the hand brake off

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
You could also spray the disc's with a special wax to stop them corroding. Most car makers do this.

133/225/CLS AMG
If its gonna be outside you need a breathable cover not a water tight one.

If you buy one thats completely waterproof the moisture will gather underneath and sit on the bodywork.

Halfords sell Tyvek covers which allow water/moisture to evapourate through them. You can even cover it when the car is wet (provided its clean) and the water will still evapourate out.

If you're gonna cover it, I'd give it a thorough clean and good dose of wax to protect it. If you do that regularly and I'd imagine air the interior now and again don't think it'd be a problem.

ph quick
few months isnt long just park it somewhere and start it up once a every other week drive round the block or something

106 GTi
Good question

I bet it's going to be a Clio and it's going to stored like it's a Antique Ferrari

CS does make me laugh sometimes

if you read the thread i said im storing it til i come to renew my insurance, and no its not a clio its a corrado

Typical CS Respones!

Nothing you really need to do unless it it being layed up for a long time. As long as it is a dry and free indoor environment. I have a CTEK trickle charger for the Clio and apart from that it stands for 4-6 weeks maybe more at times.

Only real worry is maybe flat spotting the tyres, if your really worried get it on axle stands or stick a few more PSI in the tyres.

Black 200 Cup
I left my Cup in a field (pretty much - it was used for caravan storage) under a breathable halfords cover for 3 months. It started first time when I went back to it too, which was most unexpected. The only problem I had was the cover blew off in high winds. That was 2 years ago and the car has been fine ever since.

Clio 182 cup'd
yeah but their cars are insured...and damaged;so yours would look quick tasty if someone did break in.

Phase 1 172, boxster
yeah but their cars are insured...and damaged;so yours would look quick tasty if someone did break in.

so they are gonna break into a locked yard, ignore all the INSURED unlocked slightly damaged beema's mercs and jags and steal my locked UNISURED corrado? lol soz mate but its pretty well secured were i work

RS RIP
somewhere dry, dont leave the handbrake on, some kind of trickle charger for the battery and im sure i heard when cars are beeing stood for a long time they move them a foot or so every now and then something to do with the weight being on the same bit of the tyres all the time.

Yes
i got flat spots in my tyres after 2,5 weeks of storage