ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strange exhaust?

i noticed yesterday when i was standing out of the car with the engine running that the exhaust seems to be making a strange spitting sound & there was a strange smell coming from somewhere under the car. The exhaust doesn't sound normal & to be honest its never souned right since it was changed a couple of months ago. I can't work out where the smells coming from either so any ideas??

also, i've noticed when doing long stints of driving round the town especially if i've been stuck in traffic jams the clutch seems to be creaking alot - is this a simple wd40 fix somewhere on the pedal or something more serious?

cheers

It'll be the lumpy idle that's causing the "spitting" sound your talking about mine does exactly the same thing. The stiff/creaky clutch is also a common thing so I've been lead to believe.

no its not really major... its just that i've never known any other cars to sound like that & i'm pretty sure it wasn't like that before the backbox was changed.

is it possible to put some grease or something on the clutch somewhere to stop it... its not really a big problem just doesn't feel very nice & makes an annoying sound

not sure how the exhaust looks on a 172.

but on my shitter, the gasket on the downpipe used to screech like a little b**ch every time i let off the clutch etc. Swapped the gasket kit ( consisted of 2 springs and bolts and little mesh gasket) and all was good in the hood.