ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange 'film' on lights?

I got the new (actually quite old) clio home yesterday after buying it on friday and even after cleaning (not extensively mind, just a wash over and a polish) this film that appeared on the paintwork and lights is still on the lights (it only seems to be on the front). It's slightly rough to the touch and has an off white tint to it. The film comes off when scrubbed with shampoo but returns within seconds of drying, i then tried meths but to no avail, it just keeps coming back :dapprove:. It's got a look that's reminiscent of alot of old cars (the car is a 1998 model...) but there has to be a way this will clean off?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers :approve:

Suzuki Ignis
I think your gunna need to get some photos.
What you using to wash the car? Washing up liquid?

F56 MINI Cooper S
Think thats what i have. close up does it look crackly and rough, and can also be seen misty from a distance. i have this on both of my headlights.

@Moz - Was using autoglym shampoo, however this was on the car on the firday i purchased, i just assumed it'd wash off easily lol

I'll get some pictures soon :)

@Jordi - That sounds about right, it's really bugging me because it makes the car look older IMO :(

Machine polishing sounds like it might be a good idea... i'm pretty rubbish at keeping cars clean and have hardly any experience with decent products which doesn't help haha. I'll give anything a go as long as it doesn't outweigh the cost of a housing from the scrappy :D

cheers

Titanium 182
Check out JMS tunings website they offer headlight collection if your in there local area.
Pretty cheap too IIRC.

Ah, i was on there earlier but didn't spot the headlight correction... that seems to be exactly what im looking for, although i'm only down in staines once a month at the most :(. I'll have a bit of a dig around google though, i wasn't aware it was a common issue :D.

Thanks alot!

Edit - Found an article on reconditioning headlights, looks like it'll work a treat and i should have most of the equipment lying around at home :). If not i should be able to pick up another set from the scrappy for £20 :p.

Thanks for your help.
Tom

BMW 320ci
I think this is what I've got on the roof of my car only on one side though, you can only see it when the sun shines on it and you look at it at an angle, its quite rough feels like dirt/sand but won't budge.

F56 MINI Cooper S
If u manage to get it away let me know mate. ive tried super resin polish, house polish etc and it wont budge.

F56 MINI Cooper S
ive just sanded them down using 600 grit, looks better and has got the stuff off. Just looks a little dull and strached slighty now though