ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange noise, clicking, knocking through clutch pedal

2003 Clio 172
Hey guys,

Boys-a-dear am i having some fun with this car....anyways.

Lately, i have noticed a few things in the Clio and wanted to run them by you to see if anyone else has noted similar or has any ideas.

Firstly - grinding noise:

So, when setting off and when already moving (only noticeable up to 3rd gear) i get what can only be described as a very feint grinding noise up to about 2.5k RPM. It only happens on full throttle so i can control it but i am worried about it. If it was a different noise, i would say pinking.....but its not *that* noise.....however, it happens in the same kind of range....you know, low rpm, engine labored etc. in terms of location.....i would be leaning towards belt side but its very hard to isolate because there are that many noises ffs.

What I don't think it is:
  • exhaust / sub-frame contact - i have had that noise and fixed it with a poly-dog bone. That noise is too loud anyway and when you are driving aggressively. This only happens at low rpm
  • brakes - i have checked these twice for vibrations etc and all looks fine
  • suspension - as per my previous thread......everything up front has no been replaced for new apart from the front shocks (which i cannot get)
  • dephaser - i don't think it is this, dephaser is quiet at idle and car doesn't sound diesel like, it does sound coarse though. You know.....when you are pushing it and revving high it sounds a bit uncomfortable.

Secondly - clicks/knocks/vibrations through pedals:

I am just going to throw this out here. This could be me waiting for something to happen :)

But. I'm sure I can feel something going on when the car is running on smooth road, most noticeable at motorway speeds. Doesn't seem linked to rpm and isnt constant. But i can feel a click, knock or occasional cracking coming through the pedals. So I have been trawling this forum and an awful lot of discussion happens around drive shafts so I have checked these and i really cannot see much play if any. All the joints are full of grease and have never been allowed to run dry, the boots are all fine. Driver side shaft was new a year ago. Noise still seems to happen when I put the car in neutral at say, 70 and let it coast. is this starting to lean towards diff issues? There is an ever so slight whine from the box but there always has been and i just put this down to it being made of balsa wood. Box has always been good for oil and was actually refilled about 6 months ago with Silkolene when i accidentally popped the pass-side shaft. Checked last night and its still on level. Once again, i have checked the brakes and they are ok and the front end had a full overhaul apart from the front shocks which shouldn't be related, but correct me if i am wrong. I have checked for anything making contact with anything else up front as i did have to do a good deal of pulling things out of the way when i was doing the rack bushes but couldn't see anything. While the engine is a bit coarse (see first point), this sensation can only be felt through the pedals when the car is moving.

Are there any definitive checks for diff issues?

is the circlip issue a candidate for these symptoms and is it on my car (2003 ph2 172 FF)?

Anything i am missing?

I know these questions have been asked quite a few times guys but i am very much waiting for something to happen.

Cheers guys

A