ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Noise in 5th gear

I've got a strange noise coming from the engine/gearbox whenever 5th gear is engaged. The noise isn't there in any other gear or whenever i'm off the throttle in 5th. The noise sounds like a metalic ticking/vibration. There is no loss of performance in 5th and the car runs perfectly in every other gear.

Any thoughts?

172 Race Car
I've got a strange noise coming from the engine/gearbox whenever 5th gear is engaged. The noise isn't there in any other gear or whenever i'm off the throttle in 5th. The noise sounds like a metalic ticking/vibration. There is no loss of performance in 5th and the car runs perfectly in every other gear.

Any thoughts?

Vicky Butler Henderson power sliding?

a solution (hopefully)!

5TH Gear lock nut is common for coming loose.

Solution:

remove the end case, easy but messy as it drops gear oil....

put car in gear with someones foot hard on the brake and check its tightness as per haynes manual....

you'll see score marks on the end case if its gone too far..

untitled.gif

remove tha passenger side wheel arch trims to see it better
3 * 13 mm nuts on the outer tin cover.......put a LARGE tray under neath as the oil can drip a while....
check the tightness of the nuts on both parts of the 5th gear assembly...all in view and easy to see..

loctite or stud lock before you put it back together with correct torque..

15-20 minute job apparently!

Clio Expression 3d 1.2 01
I have exactly the same problem but i wasnt sure whether i heard it in 4th aswell. But i'l give this a go anyway.

Clio Expression 3d 1.2 01
well... i say i'll try it out, i have absolutely no idea what you just explained haha... where do i locate all them things?