ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STRANGE NOISE WHEN WARMED UP

S

Ste 185

My ph2 172 has developed a strange noise when its got up to temp on tickover.Whats doing my headin is that as soon as you touch the throttle it goes.Any thing over 1100rpm and you cant hear it.It kind of sounds like its the back cam. If any one can help i would appreciate it thanks
ste
:mad:

Can you be anymore descriptive? They all sound a bit trap on idle but need more detials really then may have an idea. What happen if you depress the clutch does the noise go away?

S

Ste 185

nothing to do with the clutch.its more like a rattle a bit like dr rollo's vid on youtube.it doesnt get louder tho when you pick the revs up it goes.could it be the dephaser?

clio172
nothing to do with the clutch.its more like a rattle a bit like dr rollo's vid on youtube.it doesnt get louder tho when you pick the revs up it goes.could it be the dephaser?
hi mine dose the same taping noise when warm been told its a dry lifter

Megane 230 R26
Mine's started doing a similar thing, more like a "knock" than a "tap", doesn't sound as loud or as metallic as DrRollo's videos. I can't even hear it under the bonnet as far as I can tell so far, only when sat inside the car at the moment...

It doesn't do it when cold, only when you've driven a good few miles... then when idling in traffic or whatever you can hear it knocking, disappears as soon as you give it any revs and then sorta fades back in as the engine returns to idle. I guess from what Mike says that means it's probably the de-phaser pulley bearing?

All I want to know is really, I'm on 35700 miles, I'll be taking it in for the 36k service anyway in about a month's time, is the engine going to destroy itself in the meantime or is it perfectly fine to wait and just add it to the "list of faults" like I normally do at a service? ;)

Welcome to the L4yer
It could also be the solenoid on the fuel vapour canister. I have the same noise and going to check it out 2moro. If its the fuel vapour canister it can be fixed by a) removing it (there is a guide on here somewhere) or b) placing some foam between the canister and body work.

Mine's started doing a similar thing, more like a "knock" than a "tap", doesn't sound as loud or as metallic as DrRollo's videos. I can't even hear it under the bonnet as far as I can tell so far, only when sat inside the car at the moment...

It doesn't do it when cold, only when you've driven a good few miles... then when idling in traffic or whatever you can hear it knocking, disappears as soon as you give it any revs and then sorta fades back in as the engine returns to idle. I guess from what Mike says that means it's probably the de-phaser pulley bearing?

All I want to know is really, I'm on 35700 miles, I'll be taking it in for the 36k service anyway in about a month's time, is the engine going to destroy itself in the meantime or is it perfectly fine to wait and just add it to the "list of faults" like I normally do at a service? ;)
]

What grade of oil are you using?

none of the above mate its probably scored cam bearings due to oil starvation, mines doin the same. its a new head to fix it

Megane 230 R26
What grade of oil are you using?

Whatever the correct grade of oil is, as prescribed by Renault's revised advice that they sent out to dealerships a while ago regarding the oil to use in these engines... I believe it's 5w40 fully synthetic? At the last service (at Jaybee Motors Renault) it was filled up with Mobil 1.

It seems to come and go fairly randomly, started doing it when I picked a mate up and then when I stopped at some lights just down the road it'd stopped again :S

Last edited:
S

Ste 185

If it its the de phaser pully how long would it last before it gives up?Im taking the head off today to ava look at the pully and also the cam bearings what do i need to be looking for?

im not havin a dig at anybodys post.. and mines never been starved of oil. but it could be oil contamination etc. mine sounds fine when cold but when its warm you can hear a rattle from under the rocker cover. to chek it you need to remove the cambelt, top pulleys and then remove the rocker top

S

Ste 185

Exactly what mine does! Im expecting it to give up any time now tho as im still using it only 4 short jorneys to and from work less than a mile away

Megane 230 R26
im not havin a dig at anybodys post.. and mines never been starved of oil. but it could be oil contamination etc. mine sounds fine when cold but when its warm you can hear a rattle from under the rocker cover. to chek it you need to remove the cambelt, top pulleys and then remove the rocker top

So to get the rocker cover off you have to remove the cambelt? I thought removing the cambelt was an engine-out job? :S

No its not engine out job but it is tricky..the lower cambelt cover is tight to remove., and the accesory belt tensioner is a pain. You will need the locking tools to do the job, pin to lock the crank, plate to hold the cams and the tool to lock the pulleys so they can be removed.

S

Ste 185

Found out what the problem was with my car when it got warm.....
Turns out it was two of the hydraulic lifters.
£25 inc vat from reno

S

Ste 185

yeh little cheaper than 1st thought nearly bought a de phaser unit after being pointed in that direction glad i checked other things b4 hand.

yea iv never seen that problem with the dephaser before.. its worked out a little cheaper then mine anyway my repair have come to around 1k so far!

clio172
Turns out it was two of the hydrauliclifters.
£25 inc vat from reno
hi can you get them out with cams in or have you to strip it all down.been to renault today and thay told me it was my dephaser pully and it was going to be 500 plus thats with new cambelt as well.it was like yours only dose it when warm sounds sweat when cold

Megane 230 R26
No its not engine out job but it is tricky..the lower cambelt cover is tight to remove., and the accesory belt tensioner is a pain. You will need the locking tools to do the job, pin to lock the crank, plate to hold the cams and the tool to lock the pulleys so they can be removed.

Oh right, I've always been told Renault drop the engine out at least partially, when doing a cambelt... I won't be doing anything myself anyway because it's still under warranty, their problem to fix it - I just like to know roughly what the prob might be before I go in, in case they're having an off day ;)

My sound is now louder when it appears, but still can't be heard outside the car very easily, can only be heard if you stick your ear in the near-side wheelarch?? Can't hear it just stood in front of the car, with/without the bonnet up... only sat in the car with the doors closed, or in the wheelarch. Does this indicate anything in particular?

It's A Reno
This sounds very much like the noise mine makes and has done from new.
It only does it when it's warmed up and when at idle.

I've never done anything about it because I've always believed it to be the canister and in 4 years has not got any worse and the car isn't any worse for it.

Fault finding is a difficult thing and very easy to misdiagnose.

Often, the solution is not to throw money at it, just let it be and see what happens.
There's always someone very prepared to spend your money for you.

S

Ste 185

Turns out it was two of the hydrauliclifters.
£25 inc vat from reno
hi can you get them out with cams in or have you to strip it all down.been to renault today and thay told me it was my dephaser pully and it was going to be 500 plus thats with new cambelt as well.it was like yours only dose it when warm sounds sweat when cold

Yeh its cams out to change the lifters. Not the easiest belt ive ever done,there just no room to get at anything

Megane 230 R26
This sounds very much like the noise mine makes and has done from new.
It only does it when it's warmed up and when at idle.

I've never done anything about it because I've always believed it to be the canister and in 4 years has not got any worse and the car isn't any worse for it.

Fault finding is a difficult thing and very easy to misdiagnose.

Often, the solution is not to throw money at it, just let it be and see what happens.
There's always someone very prepared to spend your money for you.

I agree totally, but I have two concerns, namely getting stuff fixed whilst I'm still under warranty (runs out in June), and the potential for catastrophic failure, if you bear in mind what it could be.

I'm just going to take it to Renault and say "fix it" tbh, it's making a nasty noise it wasn't making before and therefore there's a defective part somewhere, which under warranty they should by rights fix :approve:

Cheers for all the advice though guys, means I can then suggest a few things to the Renault mechanics after they've had the car for 4 days and not found the fault :lolup:

It's A Reno
Warranty work is another matter completey.:approve:
It's their money so spend, spend, spend lol, and if it's getting worse then there must be an issue.

Trouble is, taking a noise to them is one thing, them knowing what it is is another.

Mine was back at Reno after a few days with the 1st gear 5mph clunk / grind from the steering pump, which I now know is a known characteristic. They hadn't got a clue.:eek: